Finnich Glen - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene - Location # 586

Land owner permission not required.

Parking: There is a tiny lay-by which will take 2 or 3 cars but ¼mile up the road is a junction with more parking there.

Access: access is via style and / or gate (if fixed) and is through a forested area. This can be very wet and muddy and treacherous underfoot so extreme caution is advise as you are near to a gorge. If you follow the footpath for approx 10 / 15m walk you will see an obvious cleft the descends into teh gorge and it has a staricase [fx: cough]. When I was there this taircase was slippy, non-existant in places and plain suicidal in others. Hopefully it will get fixed up due to the interest generated by Outlander.

Weather: Pay attention to the wetaher as flash floods occur in these gorges and you may not get the same access as myself after a relatively dry summer / autumn.

Bottom Line: I do not advise tackling this unless you are either nuts, a regular hill / cliff scrambler or both. I got down but typically wear full wet weather gear so I was sliding at some points. Suffice to say it’s a “little bit iffy”.

Flying Your Drone:this is a bit like the access and I don’t advise doing so or not doing so, just that I did. Be sure your manual flying skills are up to scratch though as my drone would not get a reliable GPS lock due to a. being in a gorge and b. possibly the iron ore in the rocks messing with it. I tried to hover at one point to grab a 360 pano and my drone simply would not remain stable and drifted several metres in random directions.

HOWEVER: if you do go then what you are greeted with is stunning red and green cliffs and a red stream / river running through. If you decide to wade upstream then you can get to the devil’s pulpit (the lump or rock middle top in my image).

Would I go again - hell yes.

The originator declared that this location was not in a flight restriction zone at the time of being flown. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying the same location.

6 Likes

Wow… that photo :clap:t2:

2 Likes

Cheers Rich - my typing is getting worse, and you’d never think I’d been in IT fro 35yrs now lolz.

2 Likes

Cracking pic :ok_hand:nice one

1 Like