First Crash - oops

With all the crappy weather we have had, I’ve not had any flights for 2 weeks. So last evening I thought, screw it I need to go and do something, so I went for a 10 min flight near me just to get out… I wish i hadn’t now… I picked up the P3 and dropped it, 1in of a blade cracked off… I thought, it should be fine to just put it up at least… WRONG.

Started it up, 1 millisecond later, it was up, flipped over and lodged the blades into the soft grass. So 1in really does matter… I am a smart bloke and I should have known it was a bad idea!

New blades arrive today so I just hope that is the only damage I did… idiot :slight_smile:
I’m gutted as we are going to Runswick bay today and was hoping to fly up the cliffs… so amazon better get here before noon…

2 Likes

Big time… hence why i posted it. To show my stupidity…

1 Like

Apparently every inch matters, so I’ve been told :wink:

3 Likes

Plonker badge making it’s way to your profile @MarkR

2 Likes

and wearing it with pride…

3 Likes

new props arrived and all is well, thank god. Big lesson learned and 2nd lesson is always have spares.

Crazy after not flying for 2 weeks I’d lost my nerve and after my stupidity I have lost it even more. Need to get out tomorrow and stop this and enjoy it.

2 Likes

OK, well… all is not well at all. I only tested to see it would fly… it does. The Gimbal is shagged. I am praying it is just a ribbon cable that needs replacing, as it looks like 1 part is slightly torn, 2 wires. New one arrives Friday. Well this has been a great moment of madness… I just hope 1 cable and we are done and I can get back in the air…

and today for the 1st time in a while is perfect… no wind and sun and a P3 pro in bits on the dining room table :smiley:

Mark, do you use a pre-flight check list, before leaving the house?.
Worth looking at the one attached, then silly mistakes can be avoided.
The ULTIMATE DJI Phantom 3 Checklist A5 SIZE.doc (38 KB)
Others are available in my post in the Members Only Area

cheers, I do, have saved and will print this one off…this was a total idiot moment, hence why I posted it…

1 Like

ribbon cable arrived and replaced but still we have a problem. Both gimbal motors were misaligned. All aligned and all now flying again.

I will take 1 positive from this cock up, that it has made me take apart the gimbal and learned how everything works. Even to understand the workings of a drone more. I know I am small fry when I see you lot with your FPV goggles, etc in the new years day meet up, but I was close to calling it a day after this to be honest. So much to learn and do not fly with anything not 100%…