First drone flight

I took my Parrot Anafi on Saturday 23rd for the first ever flight. It was bit windy (22mph) day with gusts up to 32mph so maybe not advisable thing to do when you have never flown a drone before :slight_smile:

I had to keep it low because every time I went above 40 feet or so, the gusts were so strong that the drone threw strong wind alert. Then again, learning the hard way is often the best. I even managed to make controlled landings on the launch pad (55cm diameter) so I’m quite proud of myself.

What amazed Me was the flight time (~20 minutes per battery) despite of the wind it had to fight against and doing twists and turns along the way. Another thing that impressed me is the stability of the footage despite of the drone being thrown around by the wind and gusts.

Low resolution video I uploaded on YouTube doesn’t show the capture quality, but you can easily see how stable the recording is despite of the weather conditions:

Can’t wait to winds ease a bit so I’ll have a chance to learn to fly without worrying the thing being blown away!

[edit]spelling[/edit]

10 Likes

Edited your post to move the YT link onto its own line … nothing before or after … to create the embedded player.

Rather than …

1 Like

Thanks. I was looking at the option to embed a video, but didn’t see any. I thought it may be one of those features made available later to prevent spamming.

1 Like

The Parrot Anafi is another drone that has been overshadowed by the DJI brand. I have two of them in my fleet, and unlike the few DJI Drones I own they have never given me any trouble.

1 Like

they have never given me any trouble

That’s good to hear!

I was initially considering DJI, but seeing the data their app shares raised my concerns. Parrot’s app doesn’t collect any data and only that it does, is the flight logs if you want to opt in for that. I may sound like one wearning a tin-foil hat 24/7, but data protection, privacy and security forms large part of my work so it’s something I take seriously outside work as well.

Funnily enoigh, this was also one of those “oops” purchases. I put a bid on it about an hour before auction expired not expecting to win it. As it happened, my £5 higher initial bid ended up being the winning one. On the other hand, I would have ended up buying one in near future so it’s all good.

If I ever become competent enough and be able to produce some good footage/ photos, I will upgrade, who knows what will be available then though. For now, for the first drone I’m sure this will be good as any.