First flight MA2

Finally purchased a Mavic Air 2… and yesterday, after lots of videos/reading, the weather was good enough to go for a flight.

When I say flight, I mean a gentle exercise learning the controls and probably moving no more than 20-30m in any direction. Even took a picture of the grass but won’t embarrass myself sending it in! :joy:
It was a scary but exhilarating experience (the flying…not the grass)! It’s like there’s too many things to think about at once…probably like learning to drive a car.

It raised a few questions though, like how to ensure photos and videos don’t take up too much space, including online quotas. I downloaded to Google photos on my Android phone by wifi but later noticed the pics were also on Google Drive in a folder presumably created by DJI Fly. Am assuming it’s quicker to download via a cable rather then by Wi-fi from DJI Fly? A video took several minutes!

Also if I remove everything from the internal drone storage, will all the flight logs and information be lost? Again there seems to be quite a few folders in Google Drive including some .txt files in a folder called FlightRecord.
Thanks .

1 Like

There are lots of videos to help you get used to your drone. one step at a time and you will be ok.
remember that your drone will fly itself, so start slowly and try different maneuvers.
Set it up carefully so that if it does an emergency return or you do an auto return it will behave itself and come back in one piece.
Unless it’s different to my drone, when you panic release the controls and it will just hover until your ready.

If you’re downloading to a laptop then just use an SD reader it’s the easiest and quickest way.

If you downloading to a iPhone or pad, I have been using a sd card reader to import any photos or video. It’s fast and easy then I edit and upload or syncs to google photos. Oh and set the drone to record to see card so all files are recorded on that instead of the internal memory.

Thanks everyone…some useful tips!

On a separate point, I managed to sync with Airdata and noticed that when landing I got a warning. See picture. Is this normal?
Took off and landed 3 times and got the warning on each landing. In fact once the drone refused to land, said it wasn’t safe so had to override the automatic landing and do it Manually.

I may have sorted out the warning but haven’t tested it properly yet.

I realised I hadn’t calibrated the drone since it was unboxed, so did the compass, IMU and vision sensors. Just did a quick takeoff and landing and there was no warning message. Need to try a proper flight when the weather improves.

I assumed if the drone needed calibrating there would be a message when first switched on. There wasn’t, but maybe it’s good practice with a new drone?

Yes, I believe it’s good practice to run the compass and IMU calibrations from out of the box.

I wanna see the grass pic!
We’ve all got one :wink:

Soon you’ll level up to a nice video of yourself attempting a hand catch!

Thanks @mark280560 and @lurch003

1 Like