First flight over the sea

I took the chance yesterday morning that it would be a nice day, so it suddenly turned
into a long train journey down to Bournemouth beach :grinning:

Unfortunately there was a lot of sea fog, which made the videos slightly hazy,
and the low Sun made some troubles with the video exposure in places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT9cUA1Wf_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ZM8YQNPug

First time flying out over the sea, it was scary…

4 Likes

Moved your post over to #videos :wink:

Nice shots Dave was it all hand controlled or a litchi/waypoint flight ?

LITCHI :grinning: :grinning:
These were Litchi mission that I pre-planned before I went there.

I don’t trust myself with the sticks in manual mode,
too difficult to get smooth turns and at the same time stay focused on
a subject without it jumping about.
You have to be quite skilled to do that in manual mode = not me :worried:

Living in the coast I have got used to it know, but do stick with low power warnings… Also never seem to get complaints or disapproving looks!

@opochka
Nice videos, I live in Bournemouth, but have never flown along the beach, I think it is in the Bournemouth airport restricted area, although it is miles from the airport. I was wondering how you were getting the nice turns.
The pier in the second video is actually Boscombe Pier, not that it really matters. Where did you take off and land. Looking at your video I thought the end of Boscombe Pier would be a good spot.

1 Like

Dave where you happy with the flight with Litchi?
i thought it must be with the way it pans round the pier oh and i remember you posting a flight plan recently
well done anyway

Bournemouth Airport is at least four miles away, I suppose that is far enough away !
Yes you are correct about Boscombe pier !
I should have remembered that, I lived in Iford Lane, north of Boscombe, close to the railway bridge all of my teenage years :open_mouth:
Spent a lot of time walking that beach !

I took off from the beach, sitting down on the sand against a groyne to keep the Sun off the Ipad screen.

Sat against the closest groyne to the recent cliff fall, which destroyed the Victorian elevator lifts, to get some pictures of that.

I would not be happy launching from the end of a pier, too many people around.

Interestingly, that place is exactly one third the distance between the two piers.

The nice turns come from using Litchi to plot the course, would have been a struggle doing that manually.
Here are the two flight routes … added together for the picture >>>

All fully line of sight, yer 'onner, … with a telescope.

I wish Litchi would have a 3D display function, similar to Google Earth.

1 Like

Victorian piers have so much cast iron and steel in them that they are real problems for magnetic interference, in my experience. More modern ones often have reinforced concrete decks, that have the same issue.

Hand launching and/or moving around them and trying different locations on the pier can find a suitable spot.

Nice video.