First time out with Babyhawk II - Long Raw Uneditted Videos

Got my new Babyhawk II in the air yesterday, and had a quick go around a local playing field (need to find a better location without so many dog walkers, and having to wait for the to dissapear!) very close to home though :slight_smile:

Anyways. I haven’t got the time to find highlights and edit properly so these are the two raw (basic cut) videos from the Runcam Thumb (the sound is in and it sounds better than the Hybrid 2 I think), and the DVR footage (sound removed, and no music… tut…)

Have spent an hour or two on the sim in the last few weeks, and feel that helped a lot with my flying. I felt confident in this quad, and really enojoyed flying it. Only damage was the busted RC thumb power cable, which was all my fault. Not too many crashes either!

With regards to the Runcam, it’s recorded at 1080/50fps, have not applied the gyro data or done any post processing. No ND filter, just the standard lens cap (on with blutak, as it’s very lose!) The power cable destroyed itself towards the end (bizarrely when I was upside down in the air). My bad for rushing, cutting the cable too short, was SOOO tight, amazed it lasted so long! 2 packs (850mAh 4S) got over 10 mins of flight time, so pleased with that too. 5 mins a pack!

Edit: Also need to learn to make the Runcam angle cam as FPV cam!

7 Likes

Nice work - you can literally see your confidence grow as the flights go on.

Practice, practice and more practice and you’ll be power looping them goalposts in no time :+1:

Thanks @Howard78 . It felt great right off the bat really enjoyed it, and my spotter (who was trying to fly for the first time, and with… ummmm limited luck), was really enjoying watching it!

It’s just being able to get time, when the weathers good, and in a field that’s empty (nearly, those kids playing football said “Ooooohhhh a helicopter”, heh). Velocidrone is good, but…

Speaking of which, I’ve found rates I like in the sim, and set them on the quads. It did feel similar or the same, but direct copying the values is that right? As I have seen mentioned that they don’t “match” but the 2 quads I did fly felt the same with the same rates. Maybe that’s a whole other conversation. Maybe that’s my in experience and lack of air time. But am I right that if you set a quad to 1000 degress per second in rates then betaflight will make your quad move at 1000 degress a second no matter on the quad?

1 Like

Depends on the sim I guess. There’s all sorts of different ways of defining them. The trick is to compare the graphs which should be being shown both in the sim and betaflight.

Not one I’d say I’m qualified enough to answer unfortunately. However I’m sure one of the others will provide a far more technical answer soon @group-fpv

Well most of the sims with a “Betaflight” view of the rates. Same fields, same graphs. Weirdly Velocidrone ended up with 999 degress, and betaflight 1000, someones rounding coding slightly different :wink:

Ish :+1:

That’s what the flight controller will aim for, yes. Obviously you can’t overcome the laws of physics though, so if you have a heavy quad or weak motors and tell it to do 2000 degrees per second then it’s not going to do that and will spend all its time just maxxing out the motors trying to match your stick inputs.

I find around 6-700 degrees per second still lets you do very fast snap rolls at full stick deflection. What will affect the stick feel more than the maximum rotation speed is the shape of the curve in 25% of stick movement either side of centre, and that’s all about your expo and other rates settings, other than just the maximum rotation speed. Getting your quad to match your sim is more about getting this part of the curve feeling the same. Most of the muscle memory you build up for smooth and accurate control is going to be around this part of the movement range.

1 Like

Thanks @Jase_MK I think it feels around the same. Find 6-700 taht the snaps aren’t quick enough for me. I see people doing freestyle use 1000+, and this is my main rates for now. I have 350, 666, and 1000degrees setup with rate_1 being 1000. Still not getting out anywhere near as much as want to, but did feel good yesterday compared to sim (on the 1000dps). I actually had higher expo, but dropped it a bit. Hope I get my video up soon that I made yesterday, a lot of footage to go through, though seems with the RC thumb SD issues (it slips quite easy), mainly DVR footage… damn!

heh 2000 dps… that’d be insane :wink:

I had it up at 1200 at max for a while when learning, I’ve dropped down to betaflight defaults of around 670 max rate.

Both me and Brendan use the same quads and we’re both happy with it.