Flight permission / How to?

Hi guys,

I’ve had a mini 3 pro for about a year and learning as much as I can as and when time allows. I’ve found Drone Scene really useful, its a wierd hobby in the sence that you really have to just look to sites and forums like this to blindly find things out.

One area that frightens me is when I come across an area where flight restrictions don’t permit flying without permission. I don’t know where to seek permission ( im not talking about private ) more areas where military fly or there may be other air traffic. They talk about flight plans etc but I wouldn’t know how to compile one or what info would be required so I just swerve it and don’t fly. Is there any good source to learn how to do this starting from the basics?

Thanks in advance!

Contact ATC air traffic control of the said location you’d like to fly & ask for permission & explain your intentions / hobbyist etc, anywhere in particular you’d like to fly ? Majority of the feedback I’ve heard & seen on here depending on where you want to fly that is, is usually a good outcome, you can usually contact via phone or email, majority of the FRZ’s etc when you click on them usually has a phone number or email at the bottom, if there is not I’m sure you could type the said place into a web browser & find contact details no problem,

You can submit a flight report on drone scene, I’ve not done one for ages & I’ve only ever done one,
Have a look & see if it gives you the option, parts of drone scene get many updates for better user experience, better things & more user friendly but may have changed since I last submitted a report, I just checked & have posted a link below.
I know it can all seem a bit daunting but don’t panic, just ask if your not sure as there will always be someone here to help you, good luck :blush:

1 Like

Click on the FRZ, all the info is there

1 Like

As an example of requesting permission, I often fly in Coventry Airports FRZ.
All I have to do is send them an email with some basic info:

This is the part of the airports web site that explains what they need. The main drawback is they need 7 days notice, but they have always been very supportive, and rarely restrict what I can do.

This is one of mine shown in Dronescene (the small circle by Coventry University in the middle of the screenshot

1 Like

Many thanks to all for your advice

Thanks for the advice

1 Like