Flyaway or Blown Away?

I made the video as I do all my wind test videos; done them for the Pro, 2 Pro and Air - all of which handle much stronger wind than their specs state. So it started out as a test, then became a warning video for most of the new Mini flyers :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One primary reason the Mavic Mini has such a hard time in windy(ish) conditions is due to its limited tilt angle, even in sport mode this is only 30degrees.

Sometime back I acquired a couple of Simtoo Fairy Drones very cheaply. My excuse for giving these house room is that they run Arducopter and can be hacked/modded. They also use the same motors and similar prop size to my Emax Babyhawk race/freestyle quad. However, like the MM, their performance is pants in breezy conditions with the factory tune, where as my Babyhawk has very little issue using the same power system as the tilt angle in Horizon and Acro mode can be pushed to 90degrees.

Obviously the MM is designed to be a sedate micro sized camera ship and not a thrasher, but if it can be connected to the DJI Assistant it might be possible to edit the tilt angle for Sport mode to say 45degrees, so as to provide extra forward thrust for emergency use when you find yourself in stronger winds above the ground.

Regards

Nidge

I’ve tried a few times with different email addresses, I’ve never had anything either.

@B0M0A0K

Guys, I’ve just reied the link I gave on an alternate email address and almost instantly got a confirmation download message from Stewart - Open up to confirm your subscription and get your FREE eBook!

Not sure what is going wrong in your case - have you tried using the link in the YouTube video description?

I’ve tried three different email addresses now and nothing, it hasn’t arrived in the junk or spam folder either.

1 Like

Well, midnight adventures as the Mini is blown away in the lightest of breezes and finally crashed 300m away after a major fight in total darkness filming our fireworks… I love this little drone but it’s truly useless in anything above a light breeze. I’m uploading the flight logs and will be posting a video later on it as mates were filming it all going wrong for me… once I bleep out all the swearing… :rofl:
It landed 2 feet from a stream, scuffed props and a muddy gimbal but no other damage…

4 Likes

Glad you recovered it and glad you got away with no major damage. I assume that the spirits on the table are to aid in “recovery”?

1 Like

lol… It was NYE :slight_smile: It was up there filming fireworks and got some great shots of the rockets flying up to it, but obviously at 120m. the wind speed was too high for it. When it got into difficulty, even dropping to 10 m high wasn’t enough; I was genuinely amazed at how light the wind was for it to fail… Lesson learned and I’ll be putting up the leeson for others; like the Scottish guy’s video above, it’s genuinely surprising how little wind there is at ground level but how strong the wind is above…

With data uploaded to Airdata UAV you can generate a wind map at various altitudes during a flight.

In this example 1.8 m/s at the surface is nearly 3.5 times that at 75metres height. That was a calm, uneventful flight

When I was taking aerial photos for a living and flying in Cessnas we would occasionally find a really turbulent boundary between two airstreams at our preferred flying height of 500 feet. Several flights cancelled because of this (and hangovers not helping concentration … )

1 Like

That’s great! I had already uploaded to AirData but hadn’t seen that screen. Just generated that and as you can see, ground speed was low but a soon as I got up high it went way beyond the spec’d max wind speed. On the ground it really felt like the lightest of breezes…

I’ll include this in the video I’m editing now… Cheers again!

2 Likes