Flying a drone in Iceland

Interesting that for some places there IS a permit system. I wasn’t aware of that.
I guess the problem is during the winter months the times allowed would mean its dark.

I did take my drone to Iceland and got no flights in at all. Always too windy everywhere to risk it.
Iceland is unfortunately one of the windiest places in the northern hemisphere.
Its also likely the most spectacular landscape i’ve ever seen anywhere in my life.

1 Like

Your video is really nice with some lovely shots … I went there many years ago and the place is stunning but we found it incredibly expensive.

1 Like

I’m travelling to Iceland in a few weeks and hoping to bring my DJI Mini 3 Pro.

I’ve checked the https://island.is/en/o/transport-authority site, which seems to be a bit vague as to whether operator registration is required yet or that comes in at the start of next year.

I tried to pay for operator registration on flydrone.is but it won’t allow me.

Does anyone know whether registration is required yet please or do I just need to put my name, address and phone number on my drone?

Thanks,

Paul

I’ve moved your post to the Iceland thread in Travel Tips and Flying Abroad

I am taking my DJI Mini 3 (sub 250g) drone to Iceland this summer. Although I am registered with the CAA, I understand that after Brexit the UK drone regulations are not necessarily accepted by EU/EEA countries.

So I am unsure whether I will need to register with the Icelandic authorities or whether just obeying their drone code flying rules will suffice. Can anyone advise? I’d be grateful for any help. Many thanks.

Looking at their website, the rules don’t appear to have changed yet.

From what I can see, you only need to label your drone with your name, address and phone number.

Many thanks for your guidance, I had hoped that that would be the case. I’ll label my drone accordingly and make sure that I keep to Iceland’s rules, which are very similar to the UKs. Thanks again.