Flying a drone in Iceland

A few thoughts from my recent summer trip.

The official Icelandic drone guidance for leisure use is broadly similar to the UK, with one set of rules covering drones up to 3kg in urban areas and 25kg in rural areas (with drones above 20kg requiring insurance). You are supposed to mark your drone with visible contact details. Flight restriction zones near airports are smaller than in the UK, but there are a surprising number of small airports around the country, and quite a few airfields. Restrictions on buildings and structures are only for public buildings and residences - you can fly close to other structures without restriction, for example. You can’t overfly crowds, and must keep “sufficient” distance from people and animals, although no exact distance is specified.

I brought my M2Z in cabin baggage, which turned out to be a good move when 3/4 of our hold bags went missing!

The south-west of Iceland was full of tourists and you can’t reasonably expect to fly a drone at popular sites like Geysir, the big waterfalls, or JökulsĂĄrlĂłn. I travelled along the north and east coasts, where we found plenty of good flying areas with no problem - often we were the only people around, and the same would apply if you travel into the Highlands. I found I got no comments or problems so long as I kept my take-off/landing site well away from other people, and this included sites popular with tourists such as Hverir geothermal area, and some nice spots on the Reykjanes peninsula. Closer to properties, such as at the pseudocraters on the south edge of Lake Myvatn, I flew first thing in the morning when nobody else was around. Watch out for other drone fliers - I encountered several.

It is illegal to fly without permission in the three National Parks: SnĂŠfellsjökull, Þingvellir, and Vatnajökull. So far as I can tell, the first two don’t allow leisure drones at all, but Vatnajökull has a process to apply for permits.

If you’re in any of those areas, you should get hold of a map showing the park boundaries. Note in particular that Vatnajökull covers a large area in the south, but also JökulsĂĄrgljĂșfur in the north, which includes the Ásbyrgi and Dettifoss areas.

I was successful in getting permits for glacier areas before 9am or after 5pm but not during the busy part of the day. I doubt you would get permission at JökulsĂĄrlĂłn or in the main part of the Skaftafell park - I was refused permission to fly at Svartifoss, it’s just too busy with visitors. I was also refused at SvĂ­nafellsjökull, because there is a major landslide risk and they are discouraging visitors from staying there for very long. Skaftafellsjökull was granted, and there are several glaciers east of JökulsĂĄrlĂłn which should be ok.

My main issue was weather. Even in the middle of summer, I had several places I couldn’t fly at all due to mist or high winds, and weather could change considerably from one fjord to the next. I downloaded the UAV Forecast app and found it really useful.

With all that in mind, here’s some of what I was able to film:

14 Likes

Thanks! Brilliant info!! :+1:

2 Likes

What @OzoneVibe said :blush:

Thanks for taking the time to type all that up @kvetner - nice one mate :+1:t2:

2 Likes

PS: I don’t know if it made any difference when applying for the National Park permit, but the application form asks if you have insurance and if you have been trained. I included my certificate of insurance (FPV UK public liability), plus my certificate from the Fly Icarus free online training course. I also included additional detail in my application for each proposed site to make clear I understood height and distance limits, and the need not to fly if sites were unexpectedly crowded. I don’t know if any of that helped, but I think the more you can do to convince them you know what you are doing, the easier it must be for them to approve the permit.

Great info for Iceland @kvetner, just out of curiosity?.
When did you apply for your permits ( I am assuming you applied prior to your trip, I realise they say allow 7 days) and how long did they take to process you application?.
Were the permits email to you?.
All useful info for future trips by other members.

I applied about 14 days in advance, but the person who processes them was on holiday and I actually received my permits via email only a day before I flew the drone. So my advice is to apply early, and chase it up if no reply after 7 days.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!.
They cut it fine then !

Some amazing shots there!! Nice job

1 Like

Was not sure which forum, and this seemed to be the best one for “where to fly”

I am heading off to Iceland in June next year and would like to take the Mavic Mini 2

I have already familiarised myself with the facts on licensing and weight limits.

So far things seem OK, but has anyone experienced drone flying in Iceland?

Thanks for any advice

1 Like

@ianinlondon

Will be able to help

I’ve moved your post to an existing thread on Iceland travel @Cunobelin

Hadn’t seen that - Thank you

Dave Williams

I’m happy to discuss any questions as may be Ian - see also his video here for up-to-date suggestions:

2 Likes

Usual rules about vlos and 400 ft altitude. You don’t need to register as far as I could establish, but you do need to have your name & address on or in the drone. They also have a rule about staying below the highest nearby building if you’re near an airport, which makes sense.
The last video I uploaded should help on locations.
To be honest, everywhere we went there was always someone else already flying a drone. They’ve become very common and everyone seems to ignore them. Which is perfect. Some sites have a small No Drones sign which are very easy to miss, especially if you go later in the day when there are few people
:wink:
Ian

2 Likes

Blimey incredible footage. Very nice :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Saw this posted on Instagram re current Covid travel to Iceland by someone that has gone there this last week.

Constantly changing, no doubt.

Just came back from Iceland last week and I wasn’t aware of the rules which, I know, is no excuse.

I flew briefly at Jokulsarlon and took some shots of the icebergs, and flew a little near Kerid crater, Seljalandsfoss, Skogarfoss and Reykjavic cathedral. If there was a no drone sign I adhered to it, but I just took the drone further away from the sign and got aerial footage from there.

I’ll make sure I check back if I go abroad again and seek the right permissions.

1 Like

Go on, share some footage!

1 Like

Hi,

I’m planning a trip to Iceland soon, I’ve familiarised myself with the laws but have a question about one and would like to hear some opinions. One of the laws states you need to label your drone with your name, address and phone number
 that’s a lot of info to get on a drone. I’m wondering if my UK operator number would be acceptable to put on it instead (it of course is already on my Air2s)?

Another question is if anyone knows any highlight locations to get some footage of would be much appreciated.

Moved your post to the thread with info re Iceland.

Welcome to GADC, too. :+1:

1 Like