Flying at Dartmoor

so in August im going campiing near dartmoor /(nearer to Barnstaple) on there website look att number 18 on the list about BYELAWS, aanyone know if this is just hogwash or what ?

tthanks for the insight :slight_smile:

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/who-we-are/byelaws

Their site shows this…give them a bell…or e mail. Media enquiries

Want to film on Dartmoor? We can advise on locations and permissions.

Email: communications@dartmoor.gov.uk

Phone: 01626 831045

2 Likes

To me that looks like it is the particular bylaw rather than a list about it and who would argue that a Drone is not a model aircraft considering the intent of the bylaw?
I think @AIRAC is spot on. Thats the way to find out if and where they’ll grant permission.

1 Like

You are not permitted to fly drones on the Dartmoor National park I know I live very close by, you are unlikely to be given permission.

Yea might miss the park bit then :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I’ve just got my first drone with the intention of doing some photography. I see from the Dartmoor National Park website that you can’t fly there, which is a pain because that was my first choice.

My question is, has anyone successfully got a permit from DNP? I’ve got a sub-250g drone and the photos would purely be for my benefit, no commercial intention.

It says flying drones is not allowed under the byelaw, you look at the byelaw and it is a draft which says:

18 Kites and Model Aircraft

1. No person shall fly a kite or model glider from the access land in such a manner as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to any other person or in such a manner as is likely to startle or disturb stock on the land.
  2. No person shall release any power-driven model aircraft for flight or control the flight of such an aircraft on or over the access land unless he is authorised to do so by the Authority.
  3. For the purpose of this byelaw “model aircraft” means an aircraft which either weighs not more than 5 kilograms without its fuel or is for the time being exempted (as a model aircraft) from provisions of the Air Navigation Order and “power driven” means driven by the combustion of petrol vapour or other combustible vapour or other combustible substances or by one or more electric motors.

Doesn’t even mention drones!

If it was me, I’d go ahead and fly, its a big area.

Ah, well spotted - thank you!

A quick search on YouTube shows lots of drone footage of the area. Going back to the Byelaws it just indicates you can’t take off and land from their property, overflying is permitted as long as you don’t cause annoyance. If it was me, I’d fly, I recently flew over Hadrians wall which is NT land, they are the same, don’t allow TOAL. There were a few people around whilst I flew and none of them were bothered.