Flying at firework display

Every Saturday starting 5th October at Southend-on-sea there will be a firework display, now looking on the map it is outside the NFZ but however it will be very busy as it does attract a lot of people for obvious reasons… i would love to be able to get my drone in the air and film the display but i got a feeling i could be close to the mark where drone rules should be taken into account ??? Just wanted to run it by everyone here and get your opinion on it.

Cheers
Dan

Providing you adhere to the Drone Code, and don’t get to close, and definitely do not fly over the crowd for obvious reasons, no reason why you shouldn’t film/hyper lapse it.
Keeping at a distance is sometimes better.

2 Likes

To the display or the crowd ? I know this sounds stupid but I don’t want any reason for an angry mob or police officers to be potentially causing a scene. The display is done on the coastal front so i will have no option but to take off and land either on the beach or the sea wall so at some point i will be in close proximity of the crowd momentarily.

I would want to be at least 1/4 of a mile away from the display area,
I would take off from the beach and fly out to sea 200 yds and hover.
Make sure you home point sets after you take off.
This was taken from half a mile away from one of our members Private Car Park

5 Likes

Think that would be best,as being over the crowd at any time would not be acceptable ?? Drone code…

2 Likes

is the display set off from the beach/pier/seafront?

It’s actually off a barge boat in the sea about 100 yards of the beach, ok cool so taking off and landing on the beach is fine, just gotta give a generous distance from the crowds on the beach whilst filming or taking photos

1 Like

As I said above, get at least 400 to 600 yds away, and position yourself sideways on looking down the beach ,so to speak.
You will have to get air born, literally 2 minutes before they start and fly to your chosen position, personally I would stay in a hover and just yaw l & r and frame picture as best as you can.
I personally would have a strobe on the drone, so you can see it clearly.

3 Likes

I can see NO problem with that,plenty far enough away,and with the mp2,no problem with signal …I would
say,go for it !!

4 Likes

If I lived closer, I’d be there every week !!

3 Likes

No worries thank you :+1:

Hopefully weather dependant you may see a video or hyperlapse of the display, i gotta admit I didn’t think of hyperlapsing it… I’m betting with a long enough video that could look pretty decent but i lack experience of creating a waypoint route or something to give it that extra spark (no pun intended)

2 Likes

We,d be calling you sparkler Chris…:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I had one attempt last year at doing a Firework Display…
and won the GADC Firework Challenge, but I am not an expert at it by a far chalk !.

3 Likes

With the amount of lights on your drones,YOU would be the firework display !!!:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I only have three, Red, White, Green? that’s not that many.
Mind you, when I put them all on, I can’t see a fucking thing for the next ten minutes !!

2 Likes

Add some LED props,sorted !!!:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

to much vibration, I would have to balance them before I used them
with my trusty old prop balancer.

1 Like

If you want to borrow my stanley knife,you only have to ask…pml

Haha, you sure your not trying to re-create one of the UFO’s from the film “batteries not included”

2 Likes

Arhhh,now that brings back memories,what a great film…:+1::+1::+1:still have that one in my collection today,and now i am having to watch it again…

1 Like