Flying BVLOS

Hi Peeps,

Whilst surfing the 'net, I saw a bit on the CAA website (relevant bits shown below) An introduction to unmanned aircraft systems | UK Civil Aviation Authority

" Beyond the Visual Line Of Sight (BVLOS) of the person flying the aircraft . . .
BVLOS flight will normally require either: ( a number of other options, then this)
clear evidence that the intended operation will have ‘no aviation threat’ and that the safety of persons and objects on the ground has been properly addressed.

So, if I write a risk assessment stating I will be flying along a deserted piece of seafront, BVLOS, but with a clear ability to see approaching aircraft, and at an appropriate height/ distance from people / buildings, then the flight is lawful ?

Your thoughts please

Think its badly worded.

At the end states for further guidance refer to CAP 722.

Cap 722 has the following.

So to fly BVLOS you need a exemption from CAA which would require proof of competence from an NQE much like commercial permission.

You would need a risk assessment, OSC and “clear evidence” no aircraft or person on ground is at risk.

The “clear evidence” would be the hardest part to fulfill and the reason the CAA rarely grant exemption for BVLOS operations.

Exemption for BVLOS operations is at the top of their risk scale.

3 Likes

Ah, that explains it ! Thank you

Thought it was too good to be true, lol

1 Like