Flying Categories?

Lots more clarification (for existing drones only) in these two excellent posts:

1 Like

@paul.wingfield Your post was deleted since you had quoted the WHOLE thread in the post.

Oops, sorry. That was not my intention. I only wanted to help by responding to the original post.

1 Like

Unless there is a change, your drone is unclassified and will fly in category A2 for 2 years and then into category A3.

If this is in response to @KevLincoln’s original question, regarding his DJI P2V+ that weighs 1.2kg, I believe the ‘crystal clear’ answer is:

1. Without A2 CofC, the drone will only be allowed to fly in the Open A3 subcategory from now on.
  2. With a A2 CofC, the drone will be able to fly in the Open A2 subcategory until 31/12/2022, then will be limited to the A3 subcategory thereafter.
1 Like

All true, except that it covers the Open category only.

Either of those can extend the drone’s useful life by giving significantly more flexibility on where it can fly.

Wasnt sure whether this needed a new post or was part of this thread so i apologise in advance if it is on the wrong thread…

I have a mavic mini (first edition) and am in the uk… with the old regs… i know i had to do a commercial licence to take photos/videos if i wished to place them on a work website or make any moneys involved in the taking of said items…

With the new regs… and the mini being under 250g… do i still need to do a commercial or equivalent for work / money related shoots with the original mini and if so which? Where i am a bit confused is the mini is a legacy drone i think now… but in open cat… its a class 0 which says it can be used in A1 including overflight (can also be used in your back garden) … My potential area of work would be in and around / overhead of a construction job from a refurbishment to an extension (new first/2nd floor) being built ie… from the garden in question.

The Mini isn’t technically Class C0, but, yes can be flown in A1 with no training or qualifications, whether or not the flight is commercial.

However …

Legally you must have the right insurance in place to fly any drone for commercial purposes.

1 Like

Thank-you most kindly. Now just need to find insurance firm.

Make sure it’s commercial public liability

If it’s just a one-off then Flock should give a good deal. £750k cover is the minimum legally required.