Flying close to a live motorway

That wasn’t a distance related to any flying rules/codes/laws … just a distance plucked from the air.

50ft, 50m, 50 inches makes no difference - they won’t see it.

1 Like

These days kids are staring at the iphones/ipads.

2 Likes

More than likely.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not been negative about this question.
Personally I’d have to have an extraordinary reason for needing that bit of footage to consider doing it.
Spent a lot of time on the motorways and well aware at the best of times drivers can be doing a lot of others things instead of concentrating on what they are supposed to be.
I don’t doubt anyone’s abilities to pilot a drone I do doubt motorists on motorways.

1 Like

I’d say if your high enough but in the limit. No driver will know its there and fly just a small distance away from the motorway. Can’t see a problem.
I suppose there’s always a danger tho.

1 Like

Hi, all these things like everything else in life are OK… until something goes wrong…! it is then you will likely find out any consequences, if nothing goes wrong you should be fine… I know what I would be doing… Cheers.

1 Like

Yep aware of that & mentioned in earlier replies. Luckily it would be hidden behind trees/bushes & for the small 2% of course track it isn’t I won’t risk it & will bodge around an edit / transition during editing process :blush:

As per a Pink Floyd ‘The Wall’ - “look daddy there’s an aeroplane in the sky”

Covered - will be out of sight behind bushes :+1::+1:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

@MTLakes

In my opinion regardless of how you interpret safe flying separations the overarching catch all from the CAA’s point of view is going to be Article 241

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Recreational-drone-flights/

Any incident that may happen for whatever reason is going to be underscored by Article 241 and the pilot will be held accountable on this basis.

Article 241 – endangering safety of any person or property

“A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property”

You will need to demonstrate that your flight has been properly planned and risk assessed to not present unacceptable risk not be dangerous therefore safe or risk to be reduced ALARP (As Low As Reasonably Possible)

Remember “take off is optional, landing is mandatory”

1 Like

Absolutely pilots responsibility. I have visited the area a number of time’s to check risks & been driven along that stretch of M-Way also to check it will be out of sight. :+1: I’ll probable even set the max height limit but that’s overkill.
Distance is fine too.

Looking at some of the videos online & on here. I don’t believe I will have a problem.
There are a few I’ve noticed where the drone would of be clearly visible from the motorway / bridge. Those situations I wouldn’t even of considered it myself.

Cheers for the input.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but thought i’d put this in so it may help someone in the future.

Was doing my CAA test again and this question popped up and below is the answer…

You answered:

Yes, because it’s not in a residential area.

Correct answer:

No, because you must never fly over people, including people in transport.

HTH

1 Like

Was the question in relation to flying “over” or, as inferred by the OP, “in the vicinity”, since they are different considerations.

And welcome to GADC, too. :+1:

1 Like

Assuming it was the A2CofC cylinder not the GVC bubble - personally I wouldn’t ‘overfly in case of rotation fail or similar

So did you get your footage in the end? :joy:

Hi, I would suggest flying your drone over 300 meters to the side of a major motorway so that it would not easily be seen as a distraction by drivers on the motorway. ?

If you can distinguish a Mini 2 from a blackbird/magpie etc, while you’re doing 70 on a motorway, then you’ve got bloody good eyesight, and why aren’t you looking where you’re going instead of at something in the aira couple of hundred feet away?

1 Like

Ha ha, Yep I may be overdoing it by suggesting 300 meters away from a motorway but it’s a starting point I suppose. Must admit 20 years ago I often used to fly an electric glider at a side field of the M1 motorway without a problem. Those were the days!

ezgif-2-aa29bc1167

:grin:

4 Likes

Are you sure that a drone at 36m altitude elevation would distract a driver? It’s very easy to over think things.

1 Like