Flying in Finland

Way, way back - well, February anyway, we had a long weekend in Helsinki with a trip out to the old city of Porvoo.

@chrisjohnbaker has already mentioned on here that, Helsinki at least, is very drone friendly. The weather was less so, but then we were blessed with a huge amount of snow, which was kind of the point, but also, sadly, rather too much wind.

Anyway, as Chris said, Helsinki has a number of clearly marked no-drone zones around the city, generally in the very centre or out near the hospital where there’s an obvious air ambulance risk - so generally the attitude is one of complete common sense.

Even out at Porvoo, a beautiful old riverside town where you can see the poor locals must have a love-hate relationship with tourists, they simply say something along the lines of “if you have a drone, please respect our privacy”. It would be easy to get some great shots of the town from the other side of the river, but not of the weather is that really heavy drizzle that drenches everything in a couple of minutes.

But, as Chris said, Suomenlinna, a complex of islands a short ferry ride out of Helsinki, is great for flying - and a must-see anyway. The islands are spanned by a fort, which through the ages has been in Russian, Swedish and Finnish hands. It’s beautiful and very atmospheric. And it’s also the first time I’ve ever seen the sea frozen :grinning:

There weren’t that many people about, it nobody batted an eyelid when I was flying.


Have to agree with Colin, flying in Finland was great, just wish I had more time to explore around the area.!

The island Colin is referring to is in the distance in this photo.


Oh I also meant to say, the Finns have a version of our own NATS app - Droneinfo

1 Like

I am planning to travel to Finland later this year and hope to take my DJI Mini 3 pro with me. I have completed my training and have my EASA certificate. Does anyone know what else I need to do (and how to do it) to comply with regulations e.g. get an operators ID, liability insurance, inform any authorities, etc? Have have searched the net but have not found a simple description of what I need.

Any help appreciated.