Flying in Kenya

I just seen this from linkedin by Kat James

How do you legally fly drones in Kenya?

As an American who is used to being able to fly for fun without a license or using my Part-107 license for commercial projects, I found figuring out how to fly legally in Kenya quite complicated.

Here’s the step-by-step process:

Step :one:: Be a Kenyan citizen or resident over the age of 18

Step :two:: Undergo a class 3 medical exam (which costs 10,000 Ksh)

Step :three:: Apply for your student RPL license

Step :four:: Complete an RPL training program from a KCAA-approved training organization

In Kenya, there are currently 11 (now maybe 13?) approved training organizations. These organizations offer training programs that range from 5 days to one month in length and include both a theoretical and practical (flying) component. Courses range from 139,000 Ksh to 175,000 in price.

Note: Astral Aerial Solutions offers the Julie Makena Program, which gives discounted training to women for 115,000 Ksh.

Step :five:: Pass both a series of written exams (similar to the FAA’s Part-107 exam) and a flight skills test with a KCAA-appointed Designated Flight Examiner.

Step :six:: Obtain your Kenyan RPL

The following steps require setting up an account on the KCAA portal. To be able to set up an account, you need things like a KRA tax pin and a Certificate of Good Conduct (which, among other things, means getting your fingerprints taken by the Department of Criminal Investigations).

Step :seven:: Apply to import your drone (if your drone is coming from outside of Kenya). The import permit costs 3,000 Ksh.

Step :eight:: Register your drone (which costs 3,000 Ksh)

Step :nine:: Make sure you have proper drone insurance (which costs 115,000 Ksh annually)

Step :keycap_ten:: Request permission from the KCAA every time you fly (even as a hobbyist!) and pay 2,500 Ksh per request.

Step :one::one:: If flying commercially, you need to use another organization’s ROC, which can range in price but can cost approximately 80,000 Ksh per day.

As someone new to the process, I was SO HAPPY I found Astral Aerial Solutions, who walked me through every step of the process.

I honestly would have wasted months trying to figure this process out on my own.

Bonus: Astral gives all of their students access to a .kmz file of Kenya’s Airspace, which is super helpful when trying to figure out where you are allowed to fly.

If you’re interested in getting trained in Kenya, definitely check Astral out:

@OzoneVibe thanks Dave for the move to the correct place

Hi - I understand a mini 4 pro (probably any drone) is prohibited over the Masai Mara), but on the coast/Shela/Lamu, is hobby drone flying permitted or tolerated. Has anyone taken a <250g drone to Kenya - many thanks

Quick call to the Kenya high commissioner in London will give you an answer, or Google it. They do have regulations in place and you may need to apply in advance so don’t just take it or you may loose it at immigration / arrivals

I asked this chap what drone he used, Mini 2

Thanks - the KCAA site isn’t conclusive (in fact it’s confusing u less for commercial drone operations). Good idea on a phone call to the London office - appreciated👍

Quick update from an email I sent to the Kenyan CAA. They advised a temporary permit application has to be made through a certified Remote Air Operator (list provided) as KCAA doesn’t yet have an ‘Unmanned Traffic Management System’ in place (which, they advised, will ultimately assist them in surveillance). Almost everything I’ve read from UAV and other posts, points one towards an online application on the KCAA website - this is just not possible and above is the explanation they provided as to why. Will update if I figure this out and get a permit!!

2 Likes

Just having a look on line, came across one of my childhood holiday beach…

1 Like

OK - there are currently 24 ROC’s in Kenya. I emailed 23 of them and received responses from 9 (despite a prior post, Astral provide zero responses to multiple requests). I have narrowed a shortlist down to 3 based on their respective feedback. 9 didn’t respond, several are clearly agricultural, survey or research ROC’s, and several charge $120+ per day of flying and other ‘admin’ charges, require ‘location authority’ letters and mandate you have a ‘crew minder’ … which isn’t possible as I’m travelling around Kenya. The KCAA fee is $200, and all ROC’s charge differing fees well above this to facilitate. Bottom line - will probably leave it at home!!