Flying Mini 3 Pro with a tablet instead of phone

I’ve flown my Mini 3 with both phone and RC and my Mini 2 with phone and iPad mini. Personal opinion, definitely the RC for Mini 3, no question whatsoever. For the Mini 2, I preferred the phone for the balance.

The screen position was one of the first things mentioned by new member @davef65 today when I was showing him my mini 3 and DJI RC. Once he held it and tried the sticks he thought it was ok so we may see him trading up from his mini 2 to the 3 with DJI RC sometime soon. Personally I don’t think I would want to go back to an RC with no screen as the convenience of having the screen and not having to get my phone out is much better for me. Not sure if others feel the same.

It was one of the reasons I changed from the Mini 2, hated having my phone tied up as a display.

1 Like

Yes that was my thoughts, just felt a bit of a pain and faff using the phone or tablet. I’m much happier having the built in screen and am more minded to get the mini 3 out and fly now.

Mini 3 Pro ordered… arrives tomorrow :slight_smile:

Hi Paul. I wasn’t sure whether to go for the controller with built-in screen, but went for it for the convenience of having my phone free for use when out flying the drone. Admittedly, I only got my Mini 3 Pro a couple of days ago - and had my first test flight today! I am new to drone flying so have no frame of reference, but I have to say I’m pleased with my decision. The integrated controller is also lighter than controller + phone/tablet.

1 Like

Hi @Cm1956 I think you made a good choice and hopefully when we see the last of this recent flurry of updates, the Mini 3 will turn out be a great platform to work with. The RC and all of the new features on the aircraft itself (compared with the earlier versions) just makes it a complete package for me.

Safe and happy flying !

You will like the controller, the MM3 flies a treat straight out of the box… Just a question of how far and how often the screen freezes. Don’t mean to be negative really but my experience of it has been disappointing to put it mildly. Others appear to have few if any problems. Let us know how you fare :blush:

1 Like

I have a mavic mini and I use an iPad Air 4. I have never used a phone.
I tried to use two old Samsung tablets but they were only supported up to android 4.4 and Dji fly app needs android 6 plus.

1 Like

Yes I just watched the YouTube video from tech drone media on screen freeze that does not look great

I used to use an IPAD mini 4 up until a year ago to fly my Mavic air 2, it was ok with sun shades etc but kept over heating giving a cpu error message.
I saw a video on you tube for a 7in tablet made by a company called Tripltek, based in Florida.
With its 1200 nits screen with a 10000ma battery I have never regretted the purchase. it is the main reason I went for the mini 3 pro with the standard controller as opposed to the RC controller (didn’t want to give up the nits) to carry on using it.

I don’t know what your budget is but it cost about £550 with shipping and the dedicated mount for the RC controller. Since then they have brought out a lighter 8in version which is about £100.00 or so more expensive.

I have tried using my Samsung A20e phone with my mini 3 pro but it’s just not in the same league.

If you have the budget check out the various you tube demos for it.

We’ve got a few Tripletek owners here :slight_smile: