Flying Mini 3 Pro with a tablet instead of phone

Does anyone fly with a tablet instead of your phone? I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (10"). Is it definitely worth it or is using a phone perfectly adequate. I haven’t yet bought my Mini 3 Pro but if it is worth it I’ll get a tablet bracket for it at the same time.

Depends which phone you’re comparing it to.

Device performance (the DJI Fly app is unbelievably resource intensive), brightness, glare, screen size, there are 101 parameters to factor in when comparing one device to another.

Try a few searches, your question has probably been answered already :slight_smile:

Lots and lots of tablet info here:

1 Like

Thanks for that. I’ll check out that link. My phone is a Galaxy S10+ so quite a good screen but it is getting old now so good when it launched but definitely not as capable as the newer phones.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with Samsung devices, is it a recent model? Does it run the DJI Fly app ok?

Or the tablet for that matter?

Can’t tell as I don’t have a drone yet… sorry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fair point.

Little point trying the app without the drone as it won’t use much resource when it’s not doing anything as such.

I’m sure someone will be along soon who has either or both those devices :slight_smile:

Is throwing another £150 at your intended new purchase to get the smart controller with the built in screen an option Paul @anon57276961 ?

Although that controller is only 700nits in terms of brightness it’s 700nits all the time. Unlike some smart phones / tablets that have a high peak brightness which can only be maintained for a short while.

1 Like

Possibly… wasn’t so keen on the screen being below the control sticks… do people like the new integrated screen/controller?

You’ll find most of the Mini 3 feedback in the mega thread.

Pull up a chair, it’s a long (but very interesting) read:

Jurys out I think, although the Pro Controller was always popular.

My Galaxy S10 is now my ‘drone phone’.
Whether you’re better off with a tablet or controller, that’s up to you to decide. Galaxy Tab S5e will run Fly app but struggles a little with video.

HTH

Thanks for all your help. I might just give it a try and see how it goes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use tablets instead of a phone as with my eye sight I personally find them better than my phone , I would like the RC pro but that will only work with my air 2S and for the cost I’m a bit worried they won’t give the updates the same as they did with the smart controller .

1 Like

I now own the mini 3,with the RC. I originally ran the mini 2 on my Galaxy s8+, the fly app ran with no issues, even if my phone was running stuff in the background. I ‘upgraded’ to the iPad mini 5 for sole purpose of flying, size was great, app was fine. Both of these suffered in bright light, I had to add a shade, but that added its own problems, viewing angle. The RC, I found is great in bright sunlight, better than both the above, its smaller, screen wise, and in ‘very’ bright sunshine you still have to find a shadow, but I REALLY do think it’s worth the extra moolah :+1:. It’s nice to operate aswell, with extra customisable buttons. Hope you find this helpful :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s comments and help.

It is clear that I could use my Galaxy S10 or my tablet but the screen brightness issue, combined with the convenience of having it all-in-one and the extra functionality of the RC controller it is now decided… it is the RC controller.

I will order today along with 2 x Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB cards and the fly more pack. Bang goes over £1000… it better be worth it :joy:

I can’t get it all from the one supplier due to some being out of stock so I am getting the drone & RC controller combo from Currys, the Fly More Pack from Heliguy and the SD Cards from Amazon.

3 Likes

Congrats on your new purchase(s)!

Now the real fun starts :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t think you’ll regret going for the RC controller, I don’t have any issues or problems with the screen being underneath the controllers, your hands are to the side so the view isn’t obscured.

1 Like

Good to know. Thanks. Getting quite excited now!

1 Like

Good on ya​:+1:. I don’t think (hope :grin:) your not disappointed.

1 Like

Probably a good choice, having tried the S6 lite on my controller it is to heavy really and the support bracket feels like its at its limit, and it just feels to heavy, I’m now using a 10" Lenovo which is more streamlined, very bright screen and runs apps fine, it is the 64 / 4 model so plenty of RAM which you need.

Cheers