Flying near Manchester Airport

Its funny you should mention the camera on a pole but my friend pat from the film club, was just showing a tiny 360 camera on a pole but due to the angle you can not see the person or pole underneath the camera.

1 Like

Any (legit) business asking you to do work for them should ask for risk assessments for the work you are doing, and said RA should include what insurance cover you hold.

Imagine a flyaway that sends the full school bus over the cliff into the dogs home exploding on impact (extreme I know but its an example I like)

1 Like

First thing to do is call the ATC at Manchester Airport.
Tell them:

1. What you want to do
  2. Where you want to do it (in case it’s inside their FRZ)
  3. When you want to do it.
    They can tell you if it’s inside the FRZ within seconds if you give them the “what three words” or map reference. Don’t use a post code as that could cover a large area.
    If you are just inside and at a none busy time, they might give you permission to do it there and in that time slot.
  4. Get some insurance, even a M2 could kill somebody if it fell from 200 feet or so and hit their head!
  5. Don’t forget, if you’re going around a building, youll need a spotter for the back side, or you’ll have to go around with it. Most office blocks are just steel with brick on the outside, bad news for transmission and control signals.
  6. Get some proper training and learn the rules before you do anything (Once again see Article 241)

The most important thing though is contact ATC, they’re in charge of that airspace, and if they say no, don’t do it!

2 Likes

…to make sure your RTH height is set higher than the building :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That as well!,

2 Likes

Just in case :grimacing:

3 Likes

Haven’t took my GVC exam yet, can’t remember everything!

2 Likes

No, the first thing you do is find the phone number for Manchester ATC. I’m outside but right near it myself, so figured it would be good to have handy just in case. It seems that they don’t make it easy to find the actual number, rather than links to airport info and such.

1 Like

https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2020-12-31-AIRAC/html/index-en-GB.html

Fair warning - this page doesn’t play nicely on mobile. Choose aerodromes from the left menu. ALL UK aerodromes with ATC are listed

http://www.airfieldcards.com/

This site has all of the details you need, for smaller airfields. For major ones use the NATS site as above.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for that. That’s exactly the page I was looking for earlier, but it must have been in the transition period around 1-5 Jan., because I’d seen that I should look for an ‘aerodrome’ link there, but it just wasn’t there then.

And that is the same number I dug up elsewhere, somewhere, can’t remember just how I finally got to it now.