Flying through the Roxburgh Viaduct

Would have been more exciting a bit faster but was the first time I’ve flown through something so tripod mode it was.

3 Likes

Is your horizon off there @colinbm? :thinking:

Or is that viaduct sloping downward to the right?

Not sure I’ve ever flown through anything before - so fair play mate :+1:t2:

1 Like

It’s like docking a space ship…

2 Likes

Believe it’s the Viaduct - the “real” horizon looks straighter. Not that it really helps to visualise but here’s another angle:

And here’s the other direction with a straighter horizon:

1 Like

Na!, was just that he leaned to the left as (due to his arse tweaking ) he went through the archway !.
Mine would have been as well!.
Well Flown !

1 Like

Actually, contest entry shows the slope even better.

That can be achieved in editing. :wink:

I tried that but the adjustments to make sure I kept centred gives it an unattractive wobble. I should have gone in in tripod, backed out, and then gone through without needing to adjust.

1 Like

Tried stabilising after speeding up?

Yeah - I don’t think it’s movement the software is identifying for stabilisation. Either that or Emulsio isn’t as good as I hoped. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s about as good as it gets.

1 Like

Yeah. See what you mean. Stabilising won’t remove that.
Probably need to fly it at max sped using Litchi … then slow it down. :rofl:

Litchi mission through that (or anything else) is possibly a a step too far for me. :slight_smile:

Realistically though, if I’d positioned it in between, then reversed straight out, I should have been able to go straight forward at a reasonable speed while recording (and still keeping a close eye!)

1 Like

Actually - using Litchi to fly the dead straight smooth (sensible speed) track through that, with a poi in one of the pillars, so it rotates as it goes through, would be brilliant!

<< adds to list of things to try >>

And I have my target! Just a few miles away.

3 Likes

Awesome. It’s given me the inspiration to visit Hewenden viaduct located between Wilsden and Cullingworth in West Yorkshire and film that. The last time I was there was 47 years ago with my best friend and his parents, exploring the nearby reservoir which for some reason was empty. Those were the days of Ford Cortina MK1s and Ford Anglia’s, Austin 1100/1300 cars. Who’d have thought that 47 years later I’d be flying a drone around the viaduct.

1 Like

Looks like on the way into Fareham?

By the M3 - south side of Winchester - the now disused Hockley Viaduct on the old Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway line.

1 Like

Re the horizon not being level, if you look at the points on the pillars where the arches start, they appear to be level but the top of the viaduct appears to drop to the right. On the picture looking straight down, the viaduct is at an angle to the river, so the right hand side is moving “away”. If you were to “level” the top of the viaduct, then the pillars would be wrong. Do you think it’s something to do with perspective?. I’ve only got vision in one eye, so it might be me!!!

Possibly perspective. You can see in the photo above, and in satellite (below) that it’s not perpendicular with the river. I was flying more or less along the river (central on the arch), so the right “lower” bit is further away.

1 Like

It’s still good anyway. Think you should practice in tripod, then “realtime” AND THEN GIVE IT SOME WELLY

2 Likes