Format error message when entering remote ID Air 3S

First time poster!

I’ve seen this question asked before but never seen an answer that covers my situation! Whenever I try to enter my CAA remote ID onto my RC2 controller (under “UAS Remote Identification”) I get the “Registration number format error” message. This pops up as soon as I type a capital “G” for GBR, so it’s not that I’m mis-typing my number. It doesn’t seem to accept any letter or digit without this message coming up.

My Air 3s is brand new, bought from the official DJI store.

Am I doing something obviously wrong? All suggestions gratefully received.

Hi @SteveW1, it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions category to say hello and tell us a bit about yourself :smiley:

My first thought here would be to put the drone out in the garden and make sure it’s got a GPS lock in the UK first.

Then try entering the G…? :thinking:

Haven’t got one of these controllers & don’t have to use RID myself ( yet )

Do those controllers have auto spacing on them when you type a letter ?
If it detects it’s auto spacing & trying to put a space before you even try to punch in the next letter ( it may ) not 100 % sure could be causing the problem just a thought .

Edit or - put your whole number in notes try to copy & paste to put it in all in one go .

Thanks, have tried that but it seems to make no difference

Ok, good to rule it out, thanks for confirming @SteveW1 :smiley:

Are you sure its the Remote ID and not your Fly / Operator ID ? The CAA site has a section for your Remote ID and it has a special 3 digit / character check sum at the end of it that you need too.

Seen quite a few people think its the same but its not - similar but not the same so check that your using the right thing.

On my RC2 I have it in for my Avata 360 as its a UK1 drone but not for my Air 3s as its a C1 drone ( no UK markings on it ) and it seems to work fine ( MMM do need to double check that its not got the RID in for the Air 3s but I didnt put it in and it does do a firmware change when you change drones )

But the remote ID in the UK does start with GBR.

the format on my controller is as follows

GBRxxxx9xxxxxxxx

Only the GBR is in capitals the rest is in lowercase

I get the format error message as soon as I type the first “G”. Indeed the error message comes up no matter what letter or digit I try to input

Is the controller connected to WiFi?, it probably needs to be

Are you on a VPN?

Try tether to your phone data to see if that works?

Thanks, yes wifi is switched on and connected and I’m using standard domestic wifi. I’ve also tried via the phone, but no difference!

And the drone is switched on and connected?

Keep typing. Until the whole sequence is typed in. Including the dash and the three digit key. It will then accept it. Make sure if any zeros or o’s are input correctly :blush:

did a test - when you key in the G yes it does come up with a warning - keep typing and put a - before the three digit check at the end and it will see its successful

Ah @Rocket beat me to it haha - but yes did just do this for my Air 3s and it works fine

Success! Thanks everyone for your prompt and very helpful responses.

@SteveW1 Just to confirm. What was the answer so it will help others in the same position

The solution in my case was to keep typing until the end. The format error message didn’t go away until I inputted the final digit, then I got a message saying the code was accepted.