interesting project for sure - but why !!! ???
Only user case I can see for this if someone was trying to protect a location from FPV flights and having it send an alert to a user to go and investigate - but it seems this will only detect analogue systems so if your on an O3/O4 DJI digital system it will do nothing.
Cool project for sure and I do love seeing Meshtasic being used in all sorts of cool ways and this is a new one to me.
Or any of the other digital systems ![]()
Would it also detect encrypted analog vtx? Simple encryption methods would bypass this easily.
Hey all,
I am the developer of this project, and would love to answer any questions you have regarding it.
Simply one answer: Remote detection of Analog FPVs that can be meshed together to create Virtual position logging.
Any video frequency on 5.8GHz will be detected even if it isnât Analog. It just wonât be able to demodulate the videoâŚhowever, the RX5808 chip that Iâm using does not need to demodulate the signal in order to check the RSSI of the frequency. Think of it like an SDR, but you are manually watching for signal strength on 1 particularly tuned frequency. The RX5808 is also limited to 4.8-6GHz and has only 1 frequency it can be tuned to at a time, compared to an SDR which can rapidly sample a wide bandwidth of frequencies in real-time.
The same answer I gave to Earwig also applies to Encrypted 5.8GHz. It would still detect the presence and report a lock, but it would not be able to demodulate the video unless I use the tuned Inverter chips that Analog scrambling devices use. Its not really ever âencryptedâ, but I would call it âSecure Analogâ because it is basically just inverting and maybe changing the logic levels of the video signal.
That was the âWhatâ is it. Still do nto understand - the âWhyâ have it.
âWhatâ asks for facts, descriptions, or identity (the thing or action), while âwhyâ seeks reasons, causes, or purposes (the explanation or intent behind something).
This was mostly developed for people that want to be able to detect if FPV drones are flying around certain areas.
While I donât want average citizens to buy and use these just to complain about FPV usage, I think I have seen many security or event use cases where drones are becoming an increasing worry. IE Football or Soccer (Iâm American), or other large outdoor events where there are currently little or no security systems in place.
Also - big elephant in the room - Ukraine. I have had a couple of mine shipped out there.