FPV Parts review. What have you bought and is it any good?

It doesn’t take too much longer than China I think. Though the postage may be through the roof. It was when I ordered some 8 blade props last year from the Usa

2 Likes

Yes - US postage is stupidly expensive :frowning:

1 Like

Cheers. Postage is a little pricey, but the whole lot came in at £38 which isn’t too bad. I just went for the carbon frame without his beautiful 3D printed parts, to save some cash. I can hopefully print my own bits here to a good enough standard - he makes all the STLs available.

I’ve never been super happy with the way the BetaFPV 95x flies and I’ve read very good things about putting the parts into the Snapshot frame. If nothing else, I enjoy build quads so it’ll keep me busy for a while :grinning:

So, I’ve been running a Toolkit RC M4Q charger for the last 3 months and loved it. I had been running an old IMAX B6 (fake) and it took ages to charge. Being able to charge 4 packs at a time was great.

Despite all the reported problems it was working just fine for me.

However then I cracked the screen earlier this week… ARGH!

I had a couple of days of flying planned this week, what was I to do.

First I contacted Drone Authority who I had bought it from. They got back to me the same day saying they would contact ToolkitRC for assistance. They got back to me the following day saying I should buy the part from a seller on AliExpress and fit it myself. It should be an easy job… I think it will be for me at least since I’ve replaced a fair few phone and tablet screens in the past. The total cost is going to be £15. Not bad, but a few weeks for the part to come through.

In the mean time I have bought an ISDT K2 from HobbyRC. As always they get things delivered fast, next day, by DPD.

I must say I can see why ISDT is recommended over ToolkitRC. Despite only having 2 channels instead of 4, I think I can honestly say it is charging all my batteries faster and they’re coming out a lot better balanced at the end! I’m very impressed!

So take from that what you will… I do love the M4Q, but I also like the K2… I’m pleased that eventually I will have both!

1 Like

I recently ordered an Hdzero freestyle vtx. This claims to transmit hd feed at around 1 watt if unlocked.

The build quality seems real solid, with heatsinks on either side of the single pcb.
I haven’t measured the output, but allegedly it will be at its highest power on channel R1, dropping from 1w to 300mw on R8 (this needs confirming).

I took it out for a spin on my Binary. It was gusty today, so stayed local. Absolutely no breakup over 600m away.

The only thing I noticed is that the clamp for the mipi cable had a gap. I put a 0.5mm shim in between.

There is a clamp for the ufl connector too which is great. As I’ve ripped a ufl connector today on my whoop vtx.

When the wind dies down, I intend to test it to its limits :+1:

4 Likes

I may have just accidentally purchased one of these :smirk:

I will update with a review when it arrives and Ive had a chance to test it. Not decided yet if its a modification to an existing quad or the start of a new build :thinking: lol

Ah thats the one that put itsblunty over the edge from 4in1 ESCs back to individual…

Its one hell of an expensive accidental ESC purchase…

Lol I had vouchers from Foxeer from a previous HDZero camera purchace so it “only” cost me £50 :laughing:

Yeah… even I might consider it then…

So… 7" ?

1 Like

Well actually I had seen an iflight XL10 frame for sale for a good price which I was toying with the idea of building but Im buggered if I can find it now :rofl:

10 as in 10"?

Yeah 10" but after doing a bit of reading theyre alot of agro tuning and getting to fly well so that idea is in the bin and the cogs are still turning. I have a couple of ideas for a project though

10" ?? It’s an Ardupilot job that is. even has autotune for copter and plane :+1:

1 Like

Cheers for the info Steve but the more I think about it, I would be building it for the fun of it but realistically I probably wouldnt fly it much. I have an idea for another build though that should be interesting and fun :grinning:

1 Like

Cough cough. X class :rofl:

Well Iv had to purchase a new ESC TBH wasn’t sure about what to buy as the Iflight 1 from Banggood was taking for ever. So I cancelled logged onto HobbyRc and found this…

Same price as the Iflight and roughly the same spec, the chap at HobbyRc explained he didn’t really rate the Iflight ESC and pointed me towards these. They look cheap and cheerful but I’m sure they do the job…

I’ve been running a skystars stack on a quad for ages…

It’s been used a lot and dunked in a stream.

Still works great!

A few years ago, when I started running an 5" quad, I bought these 5" ‘King Kong unbreakable props’.
I have a few left as they bend. Then break if you bend them back too many times.
They are very cheap, which is why I bought them. But I put them on my quad today, and with a few years experience, I easily noticed that the bounce back after a roll or flip was awful. The prop wash was equally dire.
I would not recommend them.

The isdt q6 pro charger.

I’ve had this for a while and has been solid for a couple of years. However, a few months ago, there was a rattle inside. A capacitor was loose / floating inside!
I stripped it down and resoldered it. All good.

Recently, the jog wheel has become erratic.
On a strip down, I have noticed that the cooling fan draws air across the heatsink from the potentiometer. So I guess the pot is full of dust.

1 Like

Something nice and simple today, making the move from Deans to XT90 on my big quad. Picked up the anti-spark plugs, just because there wasn’t much difference in the price, seem to do a pretty good job so far. Only minor annoyance is that the anti-spark is on what would typically be the battery side, it would make more sense to me to have it be the other way around.