Free DJI & Heliguy Event - Discover Aerial Photography

This landed in my Inbox earlier, may be of use / interest?

IMG_0785

100x places available, they’ll probably go quick :slight_smile:

Too far for me, doing another course in June here in Newcastle

No mention of cost anywhere on the site? Is it a free event sponsord by Mavic?

This is near the bottom.
But I can’t get the “Book your place” button to respond.
Fully booked, already, perhaps?

Capture

Edit: The “Buy Tickets” in that panel does work.
Looks like free registration.

I did put the word ‘free’ in the title :blush:

For any GADC members that attend, please report back on how it went :+1:

1 Like

RTFT!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s frustrating … not far from me … but already committed to other things that day.
MORE frustrating, the other things may get cancelled nearer the day!
#Grrrr

V-e-r-y interesting - and just down the road from me (that road being the M3!).

I signed up. Just waiting to see if I’m not too late.

Let us know when you hear back from them??

1 Like

Will do - I’ve applied and will see if I’m lucky enough to be in the chosen 100…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Don’t get technical - carefully hiding words in the title of threads. Where will it end? :rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

I just received an invite to the Discover Aerial Photography Workshop in Fleet, Hants this Friday :+1: (@pingspike)

Just arranging my dog sitter… :laughing:

Not sure how much demo-flying outside there will be - the forecast is pretty wet… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Excellent news @MikeO :+1:

Wonder if @Londroner has also heard back from them?

Sadly no. One down, hope i’m luckier with the DJI event on Saturday.

I spoke too soon. Invite just received. Looks like I am going to the ball after all. :wink:

2 Likes

Well it’s two for two; Heliguy event on Friday and New Pilots Experience on Saturday. I may need a severe DJI detox session once this weekend is over. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

A good session on Friday afternoon in Hook - a beautiful venue…

…unfortunately on a far from beautiful day. It took me the thick end of four hours driving to get there from Norfolk and - due to the joys of the M25 at rush-hour on a Friday - over four hours to get back… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The packed lecture room was filled almost exclusively by white males aged 28-60. There was a girl sitting next to me, but she turned out to be the girlfriend of the first guest speaker… :joy::rofl:

Some heavy duty DJI hardware on display, including this flying bedstead with remote control equipped with the new 5.5" 1080p screen:

…twice as bright as an iPad on its brightest setting, apparently.

The first speaker, who’s speciality was still photography, was excellent. A Frenchman living in London, Jérome Courtial was very engaging and funny (no small feat in a foreign language). He has worked his way through several DJI Pros in his time - mostly being replaced due to loss. He was able to give accounts of how these losses happened, including the time he tried to bring his drone into Morocco. Drones are not allowed in Morocco. He is quite laid back about this “I expect they are still enjoying flying it in the Customs Shed” :yum:

He has won several awards for his photography…

…and gave some good tips - some common sense (ie - have a point to your picture - a picture of a forest from an elevated point of view is still just a picture of a forest), and some less obvious (light is better in the evening, but you’re going to risk pissing people off and there will be lots of them there then; therefore get up before dawn and catch the morning light).

Jérome was very much a photographer who has come into flying a drone, rather than the other way around, so I could understand his point of view - good value.

We had a half-hour break, where we were more than adequately catered for in terms of tea, coffee and cake :yum:, taken in the beautiful public rooms of the Elvetham Hotel…

The second speaker, Oliver Astrologo (sounds like a made-up name, but apparently isn’t), is a professional film director who hails from Italy. He showed us a number of his short films, commissioned by various clients, from the Tenerife Tourist Board to the City of Venice…

Venezia from Oliver Astrologo on Vimeo.

To be honest, this was of less interest to me personally. I envisage using my drone primarily for still pictures, and Oliver was usually working with a crew of six or so people - including a couple of camera operators. This talk was definitely angled towards those who aspire to using their drones professionally.

Regrettably, the weather wasn’t too cooperative, so I ducked out of the final session of the day (demo flying) to get back on the road at a reasonable time.

Overall a pleasant afternoon out - it would have been nicer if it had been half an hour’s drive away - but at least it was free… :+1::yum:

1 Like

Great write up @MikeO :+1:

Sounds like we need to avoid Drones Direct events and only go to the Heliguy events eh :smiley:

Thanks for sharing all the details, nice one!