GADC 4th Birthday Challenge

Totternhoe Knolls

Entry 11. AONB Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or In Scotland it’s National Scenic Areas National Scenic Areas of Scotland

I claim 1 bonus point for adding to Drone Scene and posting a link with your entry

Total 2 points please.

1 Like

Please can you clarify on 17 and 21 what defines commercial to make it a valid entry?

17 - can a narrow gauge railway be classed as commercial if it carries tourists/is a tourist attraction?

21 - Wind Powered…boats or wind turbines? Again please specify commercial.

I think these have been clarified.

The narrow gauge railway is considered commercial if it takes fee paying passengers as per this post:

And wind powered as per this one:

1. Viaduct

Arnos Park Viaduct, Piccadilly Line, Enfield.

With Bonuses for
Having a vehicle on it.
14 or more arches.

3 Points please!

7 Likes

Item 2. Abandoned Building

Hartshill Castle Ruins.

I claim the following bonus points.

• Bonus point if you supply a wikipedia link
  • Bonus point for adding to Drone Scene and posting a link with your entry
4 Likes

Item 23. Solar farm

Atherstone Solar Farm

I claim the following bonus points

• Bonus point if there are 30 or more rows
  • Bonus point for adding to Drone Scene and posting a link with your entry
5 Likes
  1. Narrow Gauge Railway

Volk’s Electric Railway, Brighton

When I planned this one in my head it was going to look so much more scenic! I also even thought about just holding my drone over the railings of marine parade above it to take the pictures instead of sending it up!

I would like to also claim the following bonuses:
It has a train on it.
It’s commercial. https://volksrailway.org.uk/
I have added it to Drone Scene Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Volks Electric Railway - Everything Else in South East

4 Points in total please!

4 Likes

There seems to be a trend, especially among Mini owners, to create images that look just like that. Which kind of misses the point of having a drone …

We are very glad that you did take the trouble to put the drone up, it saves us the trouble of reminding you and the other contestants that:

Entries must have been obviously taken from a drone in flight

4 points requested, 4 points granted. Thanks Daniel! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Entry for 4th Birhday Challenge
Item 13.

360 Excavator Wheeled or Tracked
Claim 1 point
Bonus Point Loading a Truck
Bonus Point if there are 2 or more
Image taken 23rd August 2021 at new Waltham
3 points Claimed Thanks

6 Likes

Well this must be some kind of record. I’ve got two flights planned for this Treasure Hunt in my nearest FRZ (possibly more to follow); the first one was approved within 3 minutes of me submitting it electronically; and the second one within 5 minutes of submission. Must be a quiet day at the airport!

5 Likes

Item 21 Wind Powered
Claim 1 Point
Bonus Point if 4 or more sails Claim 1 Point
Bonus point if commercial Claim 1 Point
Bonus point adding Drone scene Claim 1 point
Total points claimed 4 Thanks

Image taken Waltham Windmill 23rd August 2021

Waltham Windmill added to Historic Buildings in Yorkshire and the Humber by john768 on 23/08/2021

Good parking on mail road outside. Small car park on grounds. Windmill just celebrated 140 yr old birthday. Looking really good had repaint and sails redone. Also model railway that runs nearby

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

View and discuss this location on Grey Arrows.

Co-ordinates: 53.51112, -0.102114 • what3words: ///kept.dive.rust
The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 23/08/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

7 Likes

Welcome to the Challenge John and thanks for your entry.

Unfortunately we must disallow one bonus point as the image does not show a truck being loaded. It may seem harsh but, although we might assume that the yellow excavator is digging out a trench and putting the soil in the nearby articulated 6x6 dump truck, we cannot see the truck being loaded. Being a still picture rather than a video it might equally be claimed that the truck is simply driving past the excavator.

Sorry.

But two points to start

And a further 4 points for Waltham Windmill - although we did have to look it up on the net to find if it was still a working, commercial mill :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem sharp learning curve. Thanks
John

1 Like

@Challenges_Committee
Guys, somebody must have noticed this before me, 30th September is not a Saturday, it’s a Thursday
Can you clarify day/date please :smiley:

Cheers
Steve

2 Likes

Excellent!

Someone HAS read the rules!

Well done, Steve, and thank you for spotting the deliberate mistake - it should, of course read Thursday, September 30th.

Interesting that we are on day 6 of the competition before the error has been pointed out :slight_smile:

1 Like

:laughing: :rofl: :laughing: :rofl: :laughing: :rofl: :laughing: :rofl: :laughing: :rofl:
:face_with_head_bandage:
oops, fell over, too much laughing.

2 Likes
  1. Isolated Church/Chapel Claim 1 point
  • Bonus point for having no other buildings within 100M Claim 1 point
  • Bonus point for adding to Drone Scene and posting a link with your entry. Claim 1 point

https://greyarro.ws/t/forest-of-birse-church-added-to-places-of-worship-in-scotland/35718

Nearest property 0.4 mile

6 Likes

Here goes, first entry and I hope that I have done it right!

1. Royal Mail Depot

Royal Mail Depot, Garforth, Leeds

I claim a bonus point as 10 or more red Royal Mail vehicles are there

7 Likes

download(4)

Interest in the leaderboard grows as new contestants join the fun …

Click the pic for the latest scores!

2 Likes

This is going to look like a copy-cat entry, but it was the obvious choice with it being on my doorstep. :slight_smile:

I claim…
1 point for 4 or more sails
1 point for commercial - they mill and sell their own flour
1 point for Where can I fly my drone in the UK? - Heage Windmill - Historic Buildings in East Midlands

Their drone information page is cute. :grin:

8 Likes