Gin Head WWII Radar Station

Gin Head WWII Radar Station

4 Likes

Amazing video, loved the soundtrack!

@jaybee The castle looks in better shape ! …directly opposite bass rock …what was the structure on there? I can’t recall , I will have to Google it

1 Like

Gin head its a WW2 radar station

Great video of a lovely area, where was your take-off point?

1 Like

Cough gin head

Sorry I meant wasn’t there a structure on bass rock

You can’t fly to the bass rock as 130,000 gannets are nesting there just now

Bass rock castle used as a prison , then stone robbed to build the light house …about a mile out John ? …aye those gannets and seabirds would dive bomb the drone without hesitation …bird strike would be a disaster for bird and drone !

Bass rock has lots of history was used as a jail once .said scottish crown jewels where hidden there. Used my monks ect.
You cant see but if you flew close to the bass rock you will see the air is thick with gannets.when they have finished nesting I might fly my drone to it .from gin head your lucky if it’s a mile out.

And I suppose you wouldn’t have to go all the way to the rock to get a decent image of the castle structure but have you got the bottle ? Something I couldn’t think of attempting …it’s psychological I know failure 100ft out or 1/2 mile out over water will be same result total loss

It’s no big deal I’ve been 1.5 miles out to sea.you could fly out and back you would still have 20% battery left.i would fly just now plus its illegal as the birds are nesting but if I went out now you would start to come into contact with the gannets aprox 300m from the rock.

Yeah I’m avoiding my local coastal sites due to nesting birds , have my sights on a few inland local venues going to make a point of getting out more over the next few weeks

Where do you live as I might know some places

South Shields

1 Like

Recommend St abbs Harbour and St abbs head

I was at Berwick a couple of weeks ago visiting family on holiday but didn’t take the drone weather was windy …there are a couple of canons and indications of a fort at eyemouth …was at st Abbs harbour last year before I bought the drone and there is a light house at st Abbs head if I’m correct

1 Like

Yipe go in aug nesting birds again lol.
Or go to scots View looking at the eldions hills

Yeah I need a holiday week in your lovely area with the drone for company " she who shall be obeyed " can come too though ( spotter duties )

I am going to harris and lewis in aug
To luskentyre

1 Like