Glencoe and the Scottish national trust

So I’m planning a trip up to Scotland this month and I’ll be driving through the Glencoe region and naturally, if i can, wanted to get some images.

My concern is I’ve heard lots of mixed reviews about the national trust etc when it comes to flying on their “land” so I reached out to them to seek permission for recreational flying just to avoid conflict and all seems to have gone okay so far and they have granted permission.

Does anyone have any experience with them, anything I need to be wary of or keep an eye out for?

Just waiting for their contract to go through but thought I’d come see what the low down was from a knowledgeable bunch.

Cheers!
Nathan

I didn’t think that the Scottish NT was as bitchy about drones as the English one. Just rock up and fly. I may be wrong though.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve heard mixed about both so thought I’d play it safe as quite new to the drone game but so far so good. Their main concerns so far are peak times, liability insurance and nesting raptorsso fingers crossed!

Found a bit of info here which sounds encouraging: Permissions and permits - Forestry and Land Scotland

Visitors to Scotland’s national forests and land can fly drones for personal and recreational use as long as it complies with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC) and Civil Aviation Authority guidance, Drone Code and all other legal requirements, such as those relating to privacy/data protection and wildlife protection. In such cases you will not require prior approval from us.

2 Likes

What contract???

National Trust For Scotland do not own all of Glencoe. Their boundary starts at the Glen Etive road and they pretty much own all of the land on the south of the A82 until you get to the Aonach Eagach ridge on the north side of the glen, which they own too. There are plenty of spots to fly on the north side of the A82 at the old military road giving great views of the glen.

2 Likes

They are!

2 Likes

I’m not sure I guess just about adhering to their rules or something. They’ve decided they don’t like my insurance so I haven’t got to see it yet.

This is really helpful thank you, they’ve decided they don’t like public liability cover so I’ll be making use of this nugget!

1 Like

Park at the car park I’ve marked with a red arrow. It’s the large car park on the left of the A82 just before the Pass of Glencoe. If you stay on the north side of the road you are not on NTS property. It’s actually only a short walk up on to the Old Military Road which gives great views north to the glen.
It’s worth stopping by the metal bridge on the A82 (room for one or two cars) for the classic shot of Glencoe, Glen Etive & Buachaille Etive Mòr.

8 Likes

Incredible shots, exactly the kind of scenery I’m after! Thank you so much for the tips!

1 Like

No worries :+1: Have a great trip.

3 Likes

Not had any issues all the times I have flown up there while on holiday, even with the forestry commission in that area. My favourite spot is the Glencoe Lochan.:sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

Cheers Don, I’ll check it out!

You can fly there no bother its more the monuments and the like they have no drone signs. But if you are not on their land nothing they can do. Goes without saying be thoughtful if other tourists about. Happy flying

1 Like

Fantastic spot flown there my self

1 Like

Hi ntsa93 you will have no problems flying up there i fly there every summer had no problem hope u get plenty greaat photos and footage

2 Likes

I was up there last week, typical scottish highlands weather, wet windy, and generally miserable, but managed to get a few shots in between showers, and the wind dropping, Glencoe is awesome, but even on a good day it can be a wind tunnel, enjoy your trip, hope it stays dry for you

2 Likes

Cheers all, NTS have granted permission so shouldnt be hassled either way. Heres hoping sundays forecast improves a bit!

2 Likes

Just a wee snip! I’ll put the other pics up in the relevant sections but I managed to get a little flying in

3 Likes