Glenfinnan Monument - Added to Monuments in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

In 1745 the Jacobite rising began here when Prince Charles Edward Stuart ("Bonnie Prince Charlie") raised his standard on the shores of Loch Shiel. Seventy years later, the 18 m (60 ft) Glenfinnan Monument, at the head of the loch, was erected to commemorate the historic event.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 12/03/2024. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

10 Likes

Wasn’t this the monument that was controlled by the landowner nailing drones to gates and fences around its location a few years ago?

I flew from the Glenfinnan Viewpoint, didn’t venture down to the monument itself as it was the end of long day trekking around. I also flew at the Viaduct, I’ve read somewhere that you are meant to lay £10 for that but there are contradictory views on that charge. Maybe someone local might know better……

That sounds familiar, think the person claiming for a fee was trying to make a charge, but as as we all know if you don’t fly from their property they have no claim to a charge.

1 Like