Glenfinnan Viaduct - Added to Bridges in Scotland

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

If Alistair sees this post then please message me and send banks details. I’ll happily BACS the £10 take off fee if it still applies. Well worth it!

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 30/07/2021. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

8 Likes

11 Likes

Nice :+1:

Though…

Not sure you can really mark it as ‘land owner permission requirements unknown’ and then offer to pay the landowner’s take-off fee :rofl:

3 Likes

:innocent:

True. I picked that bit of info up on someone else’s post. Wasn’t sure if it was apocryphal or genuine but wanted to cover my arse.

1 Like

I was just thinking the same thing :joy: The land owner permissions are known, as there are signs everywhere, you have to pay £10 for permission to TOAL. As @KAM said, it’s well worth it :+1:

I only saw SNT signs in their car park.

Didn’t see any others at all…… and I looked for them because I read the other post.

If the land owner permissions are true then I’d happily edit my entry but I can’t.

3 Likes

Superb picture, well done.

1 Like

Hi guys when I was up there you had to pay at the tourist centre

I went down to Glenfinnan viaduct today was told by Alistair you can no longer fly there he said people were flying over his house when he had told them not to you can fly commercially if you pay £1200 pounds.

Do you think this is permanent or was he having a bad day? :slightly_smiling_face:

I think it’s permanent last time I went there were drones flying everywhere.

I have just been to the viaduct last weekend, I got Alaistairs contact number from the information board which said “no drones without permission”.
He bluntly refused me access to fly and mentioned £1250 for photographs. (wasnt listening properly as kids ran past).
I respectfully left my DJI mini 2 in its case and pulled out my canon DSLR instead.
I saw 3 drones flying about in the 2 hours I was there.

1 Like

I’m intrigued to know why this doesn’t seem to have attracted the same sort of “you don’t own the airspace” disdain that just about every other entity that posts “no drones” notices seems to attract.

Are there really no convenient, public TOAL points nearby? I would have thought Scotland’s “right to roam” makes this even easier.

I’m not advocating being a nuisance, just curious.

I think the general consensus was that people were quite happy to pay to fly here in return for not being hassled / Karen’d.

There was a discussion on this a few years back, can’t seem to find it now.

1 Like

From @callum’s post down

Historic site that permits drone use - #15 by callum?

1 Like

That’s the one! Thanks Chris.

The viaduct is 700m from the nearest public road. It’s also on a private Highland Estate and there are no public footpaths as far as I’m aware (there are lots of footpaths but are all on the estate). The best and most photographed view is from up the glen looking back down to the viaduct with the loch behind it. This is about 900m from the road and again, still on the estate. Alastair is the Estate Manager and I was always happy to pay him the £10 fee and looked upon it as a fee for permission for toal.

3 Likes

Does he discount for iPhone for Dslr users ? Or am I missing something here