Grain Battery Tower - derelict sea fortification (now known as '1 The Thames') by DJI Mavic Pro

So, I thought I’d share some footage I recorded along with a friend (spotter) early one morning last summer of a really interesting building which was being put on the market (not sure if it sold in the end), but an agent used the video as a promotion to sell the property. The very, very low but high speed scene was the Mavic flat out in sport mode and we estimated during edit that it was probably only 50mm above some parts of the exposed causeway - just to add that we recorded very early when the causeway was entirely clear albeit you will see people standing on the gun placement area later in the video.
I hope you enjoy it as much as myself and a friend did recording and editing it.

13 Likes

The only comment I’d make is that it seem as though your gimbal isn’t always correctly aligned, and may need recalibration.

4 Likes

Interesting subject material!

The video on YouTube is quite jerky, though. With mini2 footage at 29.97fps, I find that if I render from the video editor at 59.94fps, I get very smooth results on both YouTube and my TV, with only a very small increase in file size.

1 Like

I’ve walked out to that battery it’s not a dry feet pathway. I’ve also flown out and around it too, tidewater comes in really quickly too. Impressive building

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s an intersting observation - for my own benefit, are you suggesting that the horizon is slightly sloping in the photo frames you posted? I’ll certainly look at calibrating again, thanks!

Indeed - don’t venture into the mudflats either!

Useful tip Rod - thanks!
Would you suggest that I aim for about the 60fps mark then when rendering in future then?

I’m not sure why @rod11 would even recommend this?

If you want 60FPS (and why would you on this type of shot) then shoot natively in it.

1 Like

Certainly works for me…

In the case of my mini2, it will do 30fps max. in 4K, but for some reason that frame rate leads to jerkiness on both TV and YouTube. Rendering at twice that rate has been found to solve the jerkiness in both cases.

I’d maybe look at something else in your workflow as it shouldn’t.

If you want to play with rendering and 60FPS then shoot in 2.7/60FPS and render it up to make 4k.

Better to let it make up a few pixels then invent double the frames of the original.

I think there’s a little more than a suggestion. :wink:

The sea’s horizon should always be level, but … (the red line is parallel to the top/bottom of the image) …

4 Likes

Wow, impressive OV I completely missed that - my eyesight must really be going :frowning_face: Many thanks for the red line illustration - really helpful, I will definintely calibrate now - cheers!

1 Like

Great, thanks Chris - I’m completely at ease flying drones, but the editing and more technical settings / frame rates / ISO settings / etc are my weakness. I feel like I’ve been given some good pointers on this first post, so thank you (& others).

1 Like

It is possible to walk out to its base at low tide, but be wary of the tide times!. If you stay within the walkway that leads upto the base, there used to be a ladder that you can access the building. But again watch the tides it surrounds the base very quickly and the current is strong. Distance to the base is .25 of a mile.

You mean these people (in the OP’s vid) didn’t fly/swim/boat out there?
:laughing:

3 Likes

Lol nah people do stay out on these remote locations purely for fun, when I walked out there, two guys pulled the ladder up so couldn’t get up