Great Witcombe Roman Villa

Thanks Bruce. Great feedback. I love visiting and filming these places, and it’s always great to hear that other folk are like minded and appreciate it. Definitely motivating :wink::+1:

The missus wants to know if there’s any toilets there!

John, tell the Mrs … “unfortunately not” :wink:

Superb, I did enjoy that. Thank you.

Well done! A brilliant video of part of the history that fills this land. You really find some crackers. Did you do the rebuilding graphics Chris?

Thank you, Abby, great to hear :star_struck:

Cheers, Clive! I used to pass a little sign at the end of a tiny lane every day when I worked at Barnwood, Gloucester for 2 years. Finally, I got around to having a look :mag:

Yes, the 3D model was built using Sketchup. I used to use it years ago, so I had to refamiliarise myself. But the rendering was done using V-Ray, which gave it the realistic feel, with sunrays and texture. It took 18 hours to render the model using my RTX 3090 :sleeping: It would taken more than twice that if it was set to use the CPU alone (which is the setting I started with) :woozy_face:

Whilst making the video, I requested adding Sketchup (obj) models to Planlauf Terrain (the LiDAR software I use) with their support team. And yesterday, they released a nightly build with this new feature :clap: So now I have LiDAR and 3D modelling in one package :grin:

1 Like

Excellent …really enjoyed that !!

Having used all the techy stuff before has certainly proved its worth now Chris.
The films you produce certainly have a professional look to them.
The link to the lane sign and “driving” up there on street view is excellent. Another one on the list to visit, thank you.

Cheers Mike, glad you enjoyed it mate :+1:

As always from Chris, another thoroughly professional and absorbing video :smile:

@clinkadink - Do you take requests of sites for the Lambourne treatment ? :wink:

Cheers Trevor, that’s is really great to hear :grin: Thanks so much :+1:

Hey @ximi … I do. In fact the ‘Black Death’ vid was a request by Clive @Clive.R, and that was a whole load of fun. I suppose there are certain caveats, like the location being that I’m down the South West. Not that I don’t want to travel further - it’s just time (and diesel) and that thing called a day job :wink: Where abouts are you thinking :man_shrugging:

Nothing particar in mind, though I do have fond memories of childhood holidays near Poole vising Corfe castle, Woolsbarrow hillfort and Studland bay.

We’ve got some cracking stuff ‘oop north’ if you ever wander this way :slight_smile:

I’ve added them to my list mate :+1:

Another masterpiece! Keep them coming!

Thanks Les! Too kind :grin:

There’s actually been another video since then! :+1:

Very interesting and have to admire the professionalism.

1 Like

Thanks Brian. This seems ages ago now. Coincidentally, I am in the process of creating another Roman Villa video. Hope to have it out soon.

1 Like