Groundless prohibition rules (and a nice evening flight around Stonehenge)

Might be of interest to you, @SteveBell .

@OzoneVibe & SeveBell
I really appreciate your views and comments on this topic, they are well considered and understanding of both sides of the argument. I have done some counselling and mental health traing in recent years and my nephew has 2 kids with aspergers, so I have a very small insight into how it effects the lives of those with it. I glad that you see things are not always black and white, as you have shown in this thread, yes ther are dozens of shades of grey in between. I’m now 63 and have learnt how to chill, living a spiritual life in India for 11 years helped a lot with that. So it is having the ability to accept things as they that allows you to chill, don’t waste your time on the things you can’t change, but rather focus on what you have infuence of and make the most of what you can do.

Sorry for going on a bit, but 60+ is time to chill…
Take care guys.

2 Likes

Sorry SteveBell

That what I always do, but take care of who is about if something when wrong with my UAV.

Confused newbie drone pilot, seeking clarification.

As an aircaft pilot I learned to Fly at Old Sarum (near stonehenge). I was forbidden from flying over stonehenge as it is inside a Military danger area, looking at the map on the NATS drone assist app this danger Zone still exists.

On the new Geodata recently published by NATS showing the new FRZs, the danger area is not shown.

Two NATS apps with different information? The latter (newer FRZs) implies that I can legally fly a drone in, what aperars to be an aircraft restricted danger area.

No looking to question anything or anyone, simply trying to understand where I stand legally, given that I live just 7 miles from Stonhenge and the Salisbury Plain.

Don’t know how the apps might change Chann, but important to note that the FRZ’s don’t come into place until 13th March. And FRZs are for small unmanned aircraft only. Airspace classifications for manned aircraft remain the same.

Also the FRZs only cover aerodromes, civil and military. Rules regarding other protected areas, such as military zones, will remain the same as these cover all flights manned and unmanned.

We will have to see how these change as of 13th March

2 Likes

I found this early release of the map for 13th March … :wink:

7 Likes

LOL,careful now don’t give em any ideas!!!:rofl::rofl:

Just because it’s shown as High Risk doesn’t mean you cna’t fly your drone. You just have to exercise caution (like you would anywhere I imagine??)
Note the explanetory text on the area. “We recommend you do not operate your drone here, but if you do, please exercise extreme caution and abide by the Drone Code…”
This is why I flew here. Becasue I could! :wink:
Ian

6 Likes

Ive same where I live. Have miles of open space from my garden but also in a ‘High Risk’ area. Airport is about 12km away. So I always check to see whats about before flying.

Planes are never near 400ft at my location but still gotta know whats what. Will be interesting to see how the new flight FRZ’s affect my location when official, the NATS map indicates that I will no longer be in a ‘high risk’ area, but we shall see. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Ian

All staring to make perfect sense now, it was the fact that I cannot enter into it in an aeroplane that created a conflict in my head. New to the Drone rules and was simply looking for clarification.

Looks like I have a new playground :slight_smile: for my MA.

Thanks again.

Chann

3 Likes

Yes. When I made the video, I did wait until closing time. Didn’t have to, but didn’t want to do anything that would further the Anti-drone movement :grinning:

5 Likes

Bit late replying here Steve, but to be clear, you can take off from any land way below the 400 ft top of the hills; the CAA rules are very clear your altitude is relative to the ground, not your take off point. Thus you could in theory take off from sea level and rise up over 1000 ft if the land was rising under your drone. In the CAA’s words, imagine a 400 ft piece of string from your drone; that always has to touch the ground.
Now, in saying all that, gliders and other low flying craft may skim below 500 ft when flying ovr a hill top, so you’ll still need ot try and keep an eye on everything around you.
Cheers,
Ian

1 Like

Chann, I often fly to Old Sarum (I used to own a shadow but now have a different aeroplane) and to clear up on the danger zone it’s edge is just across the road from stonehenge so you can actually overfly stonhenge, you just have to be carefull as you are very close to infringing, I imagine the instructors there just think it’s safer and simpler to tell you not to go there

Here is screenshot from Skydemon where I have marked a waypoint at Stonhenge

2 Likes

I better correct this before I lead someone into trouble, now I go back and check it’s actually the same side of the road, still just outside the danger area but very very close

see below

2 Likes

HI Shadow.

I live accros the road from the airfield here, if you fly in again, we can grab a coffee.

When I.looked at your chart and was quite amazed to see stonhenge has been marked to the south of the A303. I can assure you that it is to the north of the road, unless they have moved the damd stones again.

Like every other pilot in the area, I have of course orbited the circle of rocks, but I do belive that was a slight infringement by about 100 Meters to not particularly bothered :grin:

I teach mission and flight planning to military helicopter pilots, using a military based system. When back at work I will have a closer look and see what it says… though Mil rules can differ from civilian at times.

Just curious, nothing more. I aboslutly intend to video it with my Air late one evening this summer, avoiding the solstice of course.

1 Like

Our posts crossed. My reply was to your initial post.

Are you manually plotting stonehenge? How did you move it on the chart :eyes::grin::grin::eyes:

Chann, I manually plotted it, but if you have access to the CAA 1:250,000 chart for the area take a look and you will see the dot for stonehenge
just outside the danger area

1 Like

Or an EXCELLENT beer @ Dark Revolution …. for those not flying, of course. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes I have access all the way down to 1:25,000 scale electronically and will look later in the week when I can get to the system.

It is, like you say, very very close. As a new pilot in a Cessna 152 my Orbits took me inside I believe (but only just :wink:). Thankfully my Mavic Air has a much tighter turning circle. :grin: