Gwrych Castle - Added to Castles and Fortifications in Wales

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission obtained.

There is a parking area just after the entrance paypoint, if you or somebody with you is disabled tell them, they will then have the gates opened for you to drive all the way up to the castle

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 20/07/2020. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

3 Likes

Thank you @PhilipM for adding to DS

It took a minute, I have a few of what they called Invisible Disability, effects me in a few ways but can mess with my head, spelling often a mess or missing words out totally, it’s fun but it does cut me down on posting anything,

1 Like

Thinking of goin here this weekend, are they likely to “allow” me to use my drone here if I ask them, or am i better jsut to go with the drone laws and keep off their property and find somewhere close by to TOAL?

Much like your football stadium collection @Andy_B - go with the latter of those two choices :blush:

Pretty much what I thought, but i read earlier in the thread that someone was allowed to drive up through the gates to get into the castle.

1 Like

At Gwrych Castle if you are Disabled or have a disabled person with you & you let them know they will open the gates for you to drive all the way up to the castle, they did for me a few years back. I asked about flying my drone while paying the entry fee they charged me ÂŁ5 to fly, I did not mind the charge for it goes towards putting the castle back to how I remembered it as a young teenager

1 Like

My daughter is disabled, and she often comes with me, so that could be an option, but I imagine if that was a while ago, they may have changed their stance now, especially when you read the website stuff.

Problem is, I cant see anywhere on google maps that would be suitable for TOAL nearby

If you turn up the hill very close to the arch entrance for the road to the castle you will pass some woodland on your right, a little way up you will see a junction on your right this takes you behind the castle. This road really goes no-where it a dead-end, now there was talk of this woodland behind the castle being fenced off but all hell was played by Abergele locals who have freely walked there dogs up there for donkeys’ years. Now I am not too sure if this fence went up or not, I’ve not been up there since I was flying my drone there, my mum lives a mile or so from this castle the next time I visit my mum which will be in a few days I will drive up there & see if the woodland was fenced off or not for you & I will post on here. You said about what you where reading on the website believe me the guys & girls are totally different & I would be truly surprised if anything. as changed since I was last up there. You know what I will try & take a drive up to were you pay your entry fee & I will ask about flying drones there to see if it is still permitted at a cost, I was a beginner with my drone when I was flying there & I would not mind flying the castle again now I have just over 3 years flying experience

1 Like

Will be good to hear how you get on with that :slight_smile: