H264 v H265?

Evening All,

This question seems to be doing the rounds, and i cant find a clear answer on the below. Any Assistance appreciated

1. Whats better to record in H264 v H265
  2. in H265, is 10-bit better or what subsetting?
  3. Is there a noticeable quality difference?
  4. Premier Pro works flawlessly with H264 (Smooth Playback) however H265 Stutters and jumps when previewing clips. (Unsure if this is an Adobe issue or? I have a serious machine with little impact on resource, 16-Core, 64GB RAM, NVMe SSD, 2080TI.
2 Likes
  1. H.265 is a better codec which requires less space but is a pig to edit.

2. H.265 10bit is always better to capture more colour detail and make use of the M2Ps full dynamic range but for the average Joe prob overkill.

3. That’s subjective. There probably is for those skilled enough to make use of it and exporting to less compressed export codecs. For youtube probably not.

4. With H.265 you absolutely have to use proxy files with premiere.

My experience,

I tried many times to work with 10 bit H.265 on both Resolve studio and Premiere CC.

With proxy files on premiere and optimised media on resolve I can get playback/scrubbing silky smooth but had countless problems on export.

I eventually gave up and now have a load of good videos I can’t do anything with.

Sticking with H.264 normal profile until such a time I can revisit it.

My laptop might not be up to job. i7 6820HQ with 10% OC, 32GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe and Gtx 980 8GB.

Happy to hear any tips from anyone who is currently editing 10 bit from M2P.

2 Likes

I gave up with H.265 as well. As I currently don’t have a 10 bit display, I wouldn’t see any benefit of using the whole enhanced colour gamut anyway.

My understanding is that 10 bit is of most use in the providing extra flexibility in the processing stage, for example, for low light images where you can extract a subset of the total colour gamut for outputting as H264

1 Like

I just looked at the OP’s kit list - wow, that’s a serious graphics card you’ve got there- I’m jealous! You have to figure if that card can’t handle the processing, it’s got to be a software issue.

2 Likes

Indeed.

I first read that as a 1080 but it’s a RTX 2080Ti!

Premiere is kind of strange on GPU usage. I think there are only certain effects which use GPU and it’s mostly CPU intensive.

On resolve there is an option for HEVC hardware decoding, can’t remember on premiere.

Looking over at premiere forums most people transcode from H.265 to pro-res or DNxHD before editing.

Seems like the heavily compressed H.265 taxes your CPU but converting to an edit friendly codec like DNxHD is only linited by storage speed.

Seems like an awful lot of work.

Thanks Eveyrone, Went out today and took some video in H264, H265 Normal and H265 10-Bit DLOG for comparison.

Interesting but i think H265 Looks slightly better detail wise.

I converted these to DNxHD as mentioned by Callum and the Rig did it in minutes so its not a huge issue to convert them.

Can someone explain what HLG is?

Is there a massive difference between H265, Normal, HLG and 10-Bit? Is DLOG only 10bit?

Thanks for all your help

Thanks Mate, New kit! Nothing seems to make a dent in it yet, apart form H265… haha

1 Like

HLG stands for hybrid log gamma and is an HDR standard like HDR10. I think BBC used it on iPlayer.

It uses REC 2020 colour gamut instead of REC 709 and might not be fully compatible with older Tv’s.

That’s as much as I know.

What did you use to convert to DNxHD?

Guessing the file sizes are massive?

Might try it.

This is a good article explaining all the wide gamut formats (including HLG). Good for insomnia as well.

HDR Demystified

2 Likes

Adobe Media Encoder, yeah 17GB for 3 Minutes

1 Like

So around 750Mb/s bit rate.

Are you exporting to H.264 or H.265?

Hi Callum,

Video is h265 from Mavic, Then put into Adobe Media Encoder and Exported as DNxHR HQ UHD 29.97fps

1 Like

I mean in premiere pro. Once you have edited using DNxHR files are you going to export as H.264 or H.265?

Ah sorry, I export as h.264 4K HQ

1 Like

Am editing and working with h265 and 4K on my two iPad pros 2017 and 2018 with absolutely no stuttering issues of any sort. I guess these iPads are pretty powerful these days.
Also have a Xeon 12 core workstation with lashings of ram and a reasonable video card and that’s absolute pants for 265 and / or 4K.
I’ll be sticking with the iPads…

2 Likes