Has any one found/used Google Earth Contour Overlays?

Hi,

I’ve been having a nosey around in Google Earth. Whilst I can see elevation (displayed where ever my mousepointer is located on the map), I can’t find any suitable UK contour overlays online.

Has anyone got a URL or a good source I could use?

Cheers

Ned

Maybe something like this?

1 Like

Yeah, kinda, but I don’t think that overlays contour lines in Google Earth… unless I’ve missed something?

Ned

Would the Ordinance Survey Map app work for you? There is a paid version of any OS map or you can browse the app for free with contour lines.

I have used it for route planning before and it’s pretty good.

2 Likes

I would add a few screen shots but this is my works phone and it’s not compatible. Could send some later tonight Off my other phone if that helps?

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I’m have a look at that.

Ideally, I’d like everything in one place i.e. Google Earth… Is that even possible? I dunno.

Cheers,

Ned

This a screenshot taken from the free part of the OS maps app.

1 Like

If you go to Google earth, select preferences and then change elevation exaggeration to 3 it helps a lot. Need to you zoom down/ lower your viewing altitude.
Not a google earth overlay but it does help with being able to see the contours of the earth a lot better.

1 Like

Thanks @R0CKEYES. I’ve done as you’ve suggested… and zoomed right in, but I’m not seeing any changes on areas which I know are really hilly/steep. I tried restarting GE, but no luck.

If you go to Lat 51°13’28.70"N, Long 0°31’44.59"W (St Martha’s Church), this point has an elevation of 174m. If you head south - see attached - the Test Pin is at 46m. Perhaps this gradient isn’t steep enough to show the contours you describe?

Ned

1 Like

Is that any good? If so need to adjust your viewing angle and altitude.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqpNe3NdE6I

This is also a handy trick to check altitudes along a flight path.

3 Likes

@R0CKEYES - That’ll do nicely Sir! Thank you :+1:

1 Like