Hatton Old Pumping Station, Staffordshire

No narration on this one as I liked the soundtrack. Also compare the video content with the AI Gen Fill doctored photo I posted with all the people and cars taken out here: The Daily Photo Thread - #6723 by D0c.Col

Hatton Old Pumping Station (Now Hatton Manor, Swynnerton).
NO NARRATION WITH THIS VIDEO AS I DIDN’T WANT TO SPOIL THE SOUNDTRACK!

The increasing demand on the Staffordshire Potteries Water Companies resources due to, amongst other things, the more general introduction of water closets urged the Company to seek new sources of water. Following a survey of the area the most favourable site for a new source of supply was in the Valley of the Meece Brook on the Swynnerton Estate belonging to Mr. Basil T. Fitzherbert, of Swynerton Hall.
Two investigative bore holes yielded over 1.5 million gallons a day of excellent quality water so in 1888 the Staffordshire Water Works Company obtained powers to acquire the land and construct the works at Hatton, to lay mains to Hanchurch and construct a reservoir there.
Hatton Water Works was built in stages over a period of almost 20 years. During this period six wells were constructed and five boreholes were also sunk. In addition extensive cruts were driven between the wells and boreholes.
The first stage of the works was completed in 1892 and consisted of the erection of two compound rotary beam steam pumping engines. The next stage, the erection of a horizontal cross compound rotary steam engine was completed in 1898. The works were finally completed in 1907 with the erection of a horizontal compound tandem rotary steam pumping engine. In its heyday it must have been a sight to behold with all these steam engines running.
During the reconstruction of the Station between 1937 and 1959 the steam engines and boilers were removed and replaced by a series of direct current and alternating current motor driven well pumps. Power for the direct current pumps was obtained from three diesel engine driven generators, two Bellis & Morcombe and one Harland & Wolf, which were housed within the old boiler house.
One of the Belliss and Morcom sets and the Harland and Wolff set have been preserved and remain in situ in an area given over as an exhibition/museum space which is open on 4 (or sometimes more) days a year. A number of other items have also been collected here. The most recent phase of the pumping station’s history has been the conversion of all the historic buildings into residential apartments, under the name ‘Hatton Manor’. This has been done with great sensitivity with minimal alteration to the external appearance in order to maintain its ornate design that was created at the insistence of the landowner, Basil Fitzherbert, on whose Swynnerton Hall estate the pumping station was built. The main building complex is Listed Grade II*.

The flight was not in a FRZ and the local council does not have a bylaw to prevent TOAL. The premisis is now private hence no low level shots or inside photos. I was easily able to launch the DJI mini 3 Pro close from a public road just outside the grounds and maintained VLOS with the assistance of a spotter (my wife).

SOUNDTRACK

Riverwide by Sheryl Crow

3 Likes

Nice one. Great video.

1 Like

thx Wayne much appreciated. :+1: