Have I just messed up by buying DJI FPV Drone?

I will start by stating fpv is all new to me, please be gentle.

I have bought the DJI FPV Drone Combo kit, comes with goggles and remote. I was under the impression I could use these with another self build or bnf/rtf, as there are a few options with HD transmitters and some.branded DJI FPV.

Am I wrong in this assumption…? I was hoping to do some searches on the forum and possibly annoy you guys with a typical I’m new to fpv build post, maybe a 3inch or 5 inch self build or pre built and recommendations on those.

It’s all so very confusing, so much info, so little time!!! So much money!! Haha

The goggles will work with a HD BnF but the radio will not. So you’ll need to buy a radio and a compatible receiver to go in the quad or buy the dedicated DJI FPV Radio. Or other options include Crossfire by Team Black Sheep (TBS) is one of the most popular control links due to its un matched range and penetration. But there are plenty of other options like ImmersionRC Ghost these are the newer technologies but some of the older stuff is cheaper but not as good like FrSky.

Any questions just ask away here and we’ll be glad to point you in the right direction :+1:t2:

6 Likes

I’m still a newbie too, but here’s my experience…

I’ve recently picked up a set of DJI version 1 goggles, controller and air unit and I’m having fun with then on my own builds. The DJI Quad comes with Version 2 goggles but you can still link those to an air unit. I picked up my DJI radio off eBay for £200 so it’s not much (I accidentally picked up the more ergonomic DJI FPV radio first before realising it wouldn’t work with the air unit but luckily got an easy refund before it even arrived…!)

I’ve noticed people using other systems for control, like crossfire, and I do wonder why that is when there DJI system is fully integrated with great range? (Btw, unlocking is v easy)

However if you’re new to FPV, I would recommend getting something more hmmmm… Disposable to get used to the flying experience, which won’t have the range or clarity of video feed but will get you more used to flying without running the risk of destroying as much upon crashing. Which you will. A lot.

There are a lot of posts here about which builds to go for when starting out. Personally I really love the tinyhawk freestyle (or TH Freestyle 2 which will give you better range) that comes with Goggles and radio (yes, you’ll need a different set as it’s analogue and not digital) but alternatively once your set up with the right DJI radio, you can stick with your HD settup and get a caddx vistav air unit (I don’t think there any point in not going caddx) and drop it into a smaller build if you’re ready forv all thatv assembly…?

3 Likes

Great information @tom.at.rye.

I guess those using crossfire may already have the gear for control so then only need an air unit and goggles.

Whilst I agree if you want to fly manual fpv it’s better to get something that is cheaper to repair.
There’s still lots of fun to be had flying the DJI fpv as you can hover, brake and fly really fast with great range and clarity whilst having lots of fun.

With fpv, most of us have made mistakes when buying as there’s so much choice.

Use the DJI sim, take your time and you’ll be fine.
You’ll fly faster, safer and have less crashes than most of the other fpv guys.

Ask lots of questions as were all here to help.

1 Like

Some great advice here guys, thank you.

I think time wise, im just not ready to go all in on the self build, not yet, i know i will, its going to happen, because i find it interesting and challenging and that how i work, however for now i have ordered the Emax Tiny Hawk 2 Freestyle kit, comes with the goggles and radio so it eliminated the error in separate purchase, for now. I also ordered a couple of extra batteries for good measure.

I will keep the DJI FPV, im pretty sold on DJI for their camera drones as i have the Air 2s and Mini 2 and they’re solid for me, and at worst i have a faster version with 4k60, a set of goggles that can be used elsewhere and ill just have to factor in the radio in with the new build whenever that happens, likely next month?! haha

I have Liftoff Sim, so i can use the DJI remote with that for extra practice before i take the safety away, and the TH2 will undoubtedly take the first few beatings the DJI would have.

Whilst i know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here, and ive seen some of the information already, anyone recommend any good resources for information on first builds and i guess DJI/Caddx components in particular? Its going to be an adjustment from seeing HD on screen to Analogue in my face im guessing.

1 Like

That is a great starting point and once you get confident you can upgrade it to work with better gear so the quad still becomes relevant I still fly mine today normally as a warm up before getting the 5" out lol

Lots of Info on modding the tinyhawk can be found here: Cheap Lock Down Quad (Emax Tinyhawk freestyle1/2)

Yes the swap from HD to Anologe is night and day lol.

I got most of my knowledge and information from watching hours of YouTube videos. Joshua Bardwell is one of the big names.

If you’re using the DJI FPV remote for the sim besure to remove the spring on your throttle stick you’ll have a much easier time in the sim then.

1 Like

which will make you more inclined to try things

great advantage indeed but I found learning to do that in acro mode and otherwise learning to manage momentum without these failsafe one of the most satisfying thing about learning that control system

3 Likes

A couple…? They’re 1S, cheap as chips. Buy 8!

1 Like

I know they’re cheap, i got 4 initially, but i dont have ANY other charging gear :see_no_evil: so i just got enough to fill the 6 slot charger that comes with it.

Happy to look at recommendations on a charging rig that is future proof for 1s-6s :grin: and also greater capacity for parallel charge, as im assuming banks would charge in series? My old HS720E charged 1 at a time, so do the DJI batteries i have. Or is that just the way it is?

Honestly, half a day of youtube when i should be working and im even further down the rabbit hole with no sight of daylight!

I have a 6 bank that is going spare if you want it :+1:

1 Like

Glad to see im in good hands then. Appreciate the additional info too.

I read the post, well, most of it, scan read a lot of the technical as whilst interesting, just couldn’t follow after a while. I think from what ive seen, as well as videos ive seen today, general mods are aerial, video transmitter, battery connection type to XT30 with adapter mod to still do 2 x 1S. I also heard the older one had a bridge mod so it could take a single 1S, is this relevant? Pros/Cons?

I did some JB diving for a bit, seems like a good resource.

Noted on the spring, i think i saw that in another video this week, i have tried with an XBox controller, set the throttle to 0.50 to combat, but i get it, it still springs back so its a constant throttle management as opposed to having the ability to set at a particular position. Also appreciate the XBox controller wont help with muscle memory but i was too eager to see sky/floor/sky/floor.

i agree, build the confidence and inevitably will achieve/attempt more in the process. Also agree on the skills for stopping/recovery - seen a few videos and i greatly appreciate that whilst the panic button is going to help in my first few flights, if i can mange the manoeuvre on my own, i will end up being able to perform it just as quick if not quicker and have the satisfaction of near death.

Oh hello… You will have to let me know what it does and how if possible and im sure ill see the value of taking it off your hands :wink:

1 Like

I value my house too much to parallel charge :rofl:

Same as yours I think. In case you want to charge more than 6 in 1 go

sounds like a wise plan! lets see if i have a drone by the end of the weekend and ill take you up on it. any recommendations on spots around Cov for hassle free practice?

Our only spot is now having 500 odd houses built on it (Hawksbury Abandoned golf course) so we’re currently homeless so to speak but in the process of looking for a new home lol watch this space.

We should have a spot on Sunday…

1 Like

That’s a shame - im sure there has to be somewhere. I’m going to find it difficult to obtain a spotter for all flights so could do with somewhere essentially sterile to practice, other than the living room, as my partner will sure have an opinion on that soon enough.

Just got this, unfortunately had other plans today, is this possibly a permanent spot or a one off?

My place for maidens and quite flying is the club field, but it costs to join :frowning_face: