Hawkeye Naked 4K V4 FPV Camera

This looks like a rather interesting alternative to the Runcam Thumb.

• Not heavy
  • gyroflow support, which works
  • 4K (2.5K 50fps 4:3 with gyroflow)
  • low price (£51.50 on HobbyRC and in stock)
  • decent image quality
  • SD card support
  • battery support
  • direct mounting to gopro style mounts
  • composite video out (so could be used as the analog FPV camera on your drone)
  • runs off 5V to 23V, so direct from battery

Only thing I’d be unsure about is resilience…

Looks to me like you could disassemble it and mount the camera in the usual FPV mounts with the main board flat behind it… though then would you have to change the gyroflow angle? Whatever, doing that might help with resilience.

Aha, same camera without the case… in split cam form.

Interesting comment from Albert Kim…
“I think it’s actually too strong and too heavy. They need to shave more weight off it… it will look even worse to you I suppose but it’s plenty strong enough.”

Hi @Yith Richard.

Thinking of going pure analogue - just better. Did you (or anyone) purchases/used this as a FPV camera ?

Meets all my requirements. Mitigating the resilience by mounting it inside a frame. Then slowly putting the parts together.

I’ve been looking at it, after watching a review by Daniel Singer on YT. I will probably get one in the autumn. but I want the the other one, the Thumb version. Yes it isn’t a gopro, but it’s also £300 cheaper.

1 Like

Wow tempted now - I like to replicate the 1S set-up.

This is the cased version - but I love it.

I’ve got two of the original Runcam thumbs, which I no longer use. I would probably be willing to part with them.

I never got the 4K versions as I have the Caddx Peanut.

And then I got a GoPro Hero 7 Black 2nd Hand, which has to be the best bang for buck at £120… That lasted 18 months before I’ve now got a 9 on the way from the subscription and bought a second Hero 7 as a spare/filler for the same price. Of course you need a decent 5" quad or larger for that. The Peanut goes on the smaller one.

I’ve also got a Runcam 4K Hybrid, which is never used now. It does work. No gyro on that so, and I do love my gyros.

But now, if I wanted a nice camera on a small quad I’d just get a WS V2 cam… as you can see in my recent video.

Only reason it’s not on my 3" and 4" quads is that we like the HD Zero latency and video stream sharing on those…

Of course you didn’t ask for my life history… No I didn’t get one of these. I guess because in Jul '22 I was just starting my HDZero journey… I did have some bad experiences with the resilience of the thumb (and also the Runcam 4K Hybrid), so I would have been a little concerned about getting one.

How much Richard? I’m interested :+1:

Yes but it was very useful context. Not off topic. Helpful.

So I brought one, long shipping from china. This will make a nice fill-in whilst I am waiting to but walksnail.

(Blue tape to make sure microSD stays in)

Analogue video on goggles is similar, (my goggles are 800x480), but I am using 4:3. I am not noticing any significant lag using 50 fps and PAL.

Very short video from Hawkeye thumb stabilised and un-stabilised. Nice that recording is same as live but higher resolution. Methadone until I get walksnail.

1 Like

Looks decent. :+1:t2: