Hayling Island Rail and Road Bridges - Added to Bridges in South East

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene - Location # 578

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

The marker shows the somewhat conealed entrance to a parking area opposite the service station that is on the left as soon as you have got onto the island. It is a popular spot to park for walkers and dog walkers looking to follow the route of the old railway line. There is an area of grass amongst the trees that I use for take off. Check for cyclists zooming past!

The road bridge is on your right, to the left (west) is the embankment of the old Hayling Billy Line extending northward into Langstone Harbour. The wooden trestles of the old bridge can be seen encased in concrete which was done to strengthen the bridge, there iare the remains of the turntable that was used to open the bridge to boat traffic between Langstone and Chichester harbours. At one point there was a scheme to constuct a canal to link into the Chichester canal, itself to be extended to London. Thus goods could travel from Portsmouth Docks direct to the capital by barge.

The rail bridge and the associated branch line was closed in 1963 as part of the swingeing cuts imposed on the railways by the then Minister of Transport, Ernet Marples (Of the roadbuilding and construction company Marples) following Dr Beeching’s recommendations. Although the line was slightly in profit the cost of needed repairs to the bridge was the reason given for closure

The originator declared that this location was not in a flight restriction zone at the time of being flown. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying the same location.

1 Like

Ignore the pin on the map for the time being. I carefully positioned it at the entrance to the parking area using the satellite image and it has moved some 15 miles away.

I’m hoping a grown-up will come along and help me move it later as there seems to be no edit available on the dronescene map.

And, while we are at it, photo uploads don’t seem to happen - is it because of their size?

Sorry you’re having problems @macspite

If you can let me know the correct lat/lng I’ll get the pin moved for you.

You can pan/zoom the map to roughly the centre and click the Share button, then paste the share url here as it’ll contain the co-ordinates. eg: https://dronescene.co.uk/?lat=50.82967234801633&lng=-1.2717103958129883&zoom=16

Was it over 50MB in size? Others have been uploading photos all day with no apparent issues, are you getting any errors?

1 Like

PM arriving in thirty minutes :slight_smile:

1 Like