Hello from Lichfield, Staffordshire

Hello from Lichfield in Staffordshire. I have recently joined and have spent a while looking at video on this site.
There is some great content out there. Hoping to pick up some valuable tips and advice.
I am relatively new to the hobby having bought a DJI Mavic Mini in December 2019. That has been replaced with the Mini 2 having sold a shed load of stuff on e bay to pay for it.
I have just passed my CAA C of C to help me fly safely.
Most of my video has been made into short movies for home viewing but I have added a couple to my ancient You Tube Channel.
I am going to make a short collage video which I will post when ready.

6 Likes

Hi and welcome to GADC, you will find lots of help and advise here as all a very friendly bunch. Check older topics in the little search icon top right and there is a section on where to fly your drone for local areas , if you add yourself to the members map this might help you find others local to you . Its a fantastic site and we look forward to seeing your videos and pics. Have fun.

1 Like

Alright Stu, I’m just down the road in Walsall, welcome!

Hi Stu, from Handsacre so not far away, got the mini 2 as well, I want to cover Stowe Pool and the Cathedral

Hi Stu, welcome,I’m a relative novice myself. I presume rightly or wrongly that you’ve done the A2 C of C ? if that is the case, how did you find it in terms of ease, the provider you went through and how much you had to pay. I’m looking at doing mine and UAV Hub come up in my FB feed regularly. I’ve looked at their website and they seem genuine enough and they change currently £99.

David

Hi Stu,

i am just up the road a bit in Great Haywood.

For the Coc C I used UAV Academy who were very good. I can really recommend them.

Thank You

1 Like

Thank You. Nice to know there are a few like minded people nearby.

Hi. I went into the Cathedral to ask permission to fly over it. They said no.
However I have used the memorial park when it`s quiet. That’s opposite the registry office and next to Minster pool. I have also used Beacon Park to take off as it is not too busy and there is plenty of open space.

1 Like

I used Pigs can Fly and I chose them on price. They were the only ones offering the course for £99.
I think they are all offering that price now so choose the best one for you. I found my course was straightforward but it was mostly text based.
I have only heard good things about UAV hub.

Thank You. I used Pigs Can Fly but I have heard a lot of people recommend UAV Hub.

Thanks Stu that’s helpful .

Hi Stu, welcome to Grey Arrows.

As you own the Mini 2 as far as I am aware you are allowed to fly over buildings and also fly over peoples land, you must obviously try to make your flight as safe as possible and try not to fly over people. You still cannot fly over crowds. This being the case the property owner cannot stop you from taking off and landing outside of thier boundary and do a fly past so to speak. They could call the police and quote invasion of privacy if you hover around too long. The CAA controls air space not the building owner. Just fly sensible at the right times and you should be good to go. Pic a time when hardly anyone is around, if possible :wink:

Woody

Hi Stu,
I was reading Woody’s comment and thats how I interpreted the law, if I were to take off at the cathedral end of Stowe Pool then as long as I dont land on cathedral grounds I figured there isn’t too much they can do about it. Obviously I don’t want to cause ‘anti-drone’ feelings with anyone but as long as its only a relatively quick pass during quiet times then they probably won’t even know i was there.
On another note, have you ever covered Blithfield Reservoir at all?

1 Like

Welcome :ok_hand:

Are there any flight restrictions over the Arboretum in Litchfield? I’d love to fly over it!

1 Like

Hello

Yes there are. There is a sign up saying no drones. I think you may be able to get some footage from outside the site pointing the drone towards the direction required.

I don`t think you should have any problems with CWGC sites.

Thanks. Yes I think you are quite right.

I haven’t tried flying over the reservoir yet. To be honest 90% of my flying is in the back garden.
I will try to film Blithfield when I get the chance. Always find water a little scary.

In all honesty ManShed, out of respect I wouldn’t fly over the Arboretum, but I know what you mean, would be nice to be able to though