Hey from Swansea

Hey All!

Got myself a DJI Mini 2 turning up on Tuesday so thought that I’d say hi, and see if anyone knew of some good places for a first flight.

Starting to think finding places were allowed to fly/film isn’t as easy as I thought it would be.

2 Likes

Hi James - I’m in Swansea too - welcome to GADC :+1:t2: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

Have a look at the GADC facility called Dronescene

It gives you some places members have already flown together with any restrictions etc

1 Like

Lots of places around here, but also some clear no-no’s so check the NATS app … there are various (rare) military flights as well as the obvious airports to avoid (which takes out 3cliffs bay as well! and most of Pembrey. But lots of options. Would recommend you learn to hand launch and recover … I do that every time as it keeps you away from sand.

1 Like

Or as already mentioned DroneScene, much better all in one site

1 Like

I am based in South Wales. Not just heading west, but also there’s quite a few areas of Crown Foreshore (presumed permission to fly, the Dronescene app shows it) as you head east from Swansea. Nash/Marcroft is a good area to reach a section of Crown Foreshore but check in the the cafe owner (he’s positive towards drones) and pay your parking fee. Try to pick a quiet time as it gets surprisingly busy there on the cliff-top. It’s a rocky beach with uneven large pebbled section to cross before you get to the rocky shelving bit and then along to the sandy area, so wear your stout walking boots. A bit further west there’s an area of Crown Foreshore around Merthyr Mawr warren too but again- pick a quiet time.

Be careful if you go further east than the Low Light at Nash as then you’re into the CTRs then FRZs of Cardiff and St Athan airports. There’s some great Crown Foreshore along there which is unfortunately in the FRZ :anguished: so off-limits.

Also- ALWAYS check the tide tables for the beach you are going too. You’ll get more flying room if New/Full moon time (spring tides) but aim to arrive a couple of hours before low tide to give yourself plenty time. If you’re forgetful, set an alarm on your phone so you are reminded when to come in, once the tide turns it comes in very fast into the Severn estuary.

GC

1 Like

Hi there,

With a mini 2 you can go almost anywhere, if you’re still a bit unsure about flying and landing choose somewhere with a soft landing area. Swansea bay when the tide is out, loads of empty space.
Cheers

Andy

1 Like

Cheers for the advice, went out by Bay Campus earlier today, little windy but good to start getting used to flying it!

1 Like

Hi James, I’m in Swansea too, I got mine on Thursday.
I’ve been out flying twice, just getting to know the drone operation.
Today I was at the stretch of beach at the slip and was surprised that I had a flying restriction notice due to the location of the Ary reserve’s facility at West Cross. A notice to request authorisation came up in the DJI Fly app.
It was letting me fly but the camera was disabled.