Hi from Shephall Green Stevenage

:face_with_monocle::thinking::scream::joy:

1 Like

We should go fly together sometime meet up for a chat

1 Like

Thank you Dave,
I’ll try that programme.

Hi Dave. Welcome to the club. I recognise most of the locations in your pics as I fly in Hertford at the airstrip on Kings Marshes near Hartham Common at least once a month. I’m based in Hoddesdon on the Herts/Essex border and try and find new places to fly my Mavic 2 when I can. I’m using Final Cut X for my editing.

Hi Ted
Thanks for getting in touch we should get together and share some air space :joy: also thanks for the info on the software is it easy to use is it free etc .:thinking:

Hi Dave

I’ll definitely take you up on the offer and it’d be great to have another flyer participating in our small (3 of us) group. We were hoping to do Hartham on Sunday 6th Oct, but the weather is not looking so good. Do you have any good places to fly in Stevenage? My son says he saw a Model RC airstrip on the A1 north of your neck of the woods?

Oops. I forgot to mention that Final Cut Pro is Mac only and not free, but I find it easy to use and love the fact that it is optimised for the Mac and renders in the background while you work.

Hi Ted
Stevenage is a NFZ so nothing great, there is a wood at Great Ashby that is ok for practice and its just outside the zone but the Model RC airstrip I think is next to a travellers site I believe but I could be wrong ill see if I can find out more about it. There is always Grapham Waters up the A1 its about 45 min drive tho.
Being a novice to this whole new world of drone-ism and will probably never go professional etc I am tentative about spending money on video editing software until I know what I want to do etc. The Davinci Resolve appears very good on the free part but just hard to learn I’m doing a little each time along with learning to fly the Mavic pro properly even playing around with the basic settings then there is the camera setting and how the gimble will perform that I am comfortable with. I’m not a photographer and never really been into even the basics of how a good picture is produced so I’m learning from the bottom, thank heavens for You Tube. Sundays is bad for me at the moment as my father comes over for dinner etc so maybe have a chat and see if we can fit something in weather permitting as you say. I am loving this club though its better than Facebook lol.

Hi Dave, I’ve removed your mobile number from above post. Best to send it in a PM by clicking a users avatar then message.

1 Like

Thanks Callum still a new boy on this site too always learning keeps the grey matter alive and kicking lol

1 Like

Hi Dave.

I’m very lucky in that I’m in the south of the Luton and Stansted holding patterns/NFZ, so only occasionally gat a Class 4 zone warning at our local spots. I’m a photographer at heart and wish I could do it for a living. I’m 58 and my best mate introduced me to flying in 2017 - when he showed me his new DJI Spark. I was blown away and immediately bought a Spark with a nicely timed Tax rebate. I’m teaching my mate the rudiments of video editing and getting his pictures to shine in Photoshop. My son is hooked too and went and bought a Mavic air and we were then both very envious of the quality of his video and photography - so we had to both go one and better him by buying the Mavic 2 Pro. :smile:

I’m the weakest flyer out of the trio - so am still learning.

DaVinci Resolve is a very good App; and to be honest, once you’ve dabbled with one editing app, you will find your way around the other apps that are linear based, as they all have a similar layout. I’d love to meet up and can do Saturdays as well? In the summer we fly Thursday evenings. I’ve got your mobile in my notification email and will give you a call if the weather improves - let’s see if we can meet up sometime!

Sounds great re meeting up I will love to see some proper pilots​:ok_hand::sunglasses: I am also keen to learn the art of making shots look better, luts and special affects and transitions but like always it’s finding the time, I’m 63 and although I’m retired I now don’t know where I found the time to work​:joy: I am a volunteer at an oxygen therapy centre in Letchworth and find its like my new home sometimes. But I always have my kit in the boot so that I can fly as much as possible. Give me a call when you get time. :grinning:

Will do!

Sorry, I meant to say Non-Linear editors - not sure how the Non dropped off? :slight_smile:

:joy:at this stage I’m clueless to both hehe, just starting to get to grips with DR, re-edited a 4 minute vid that I did on another app that put a large watermark at bottom third of the screen. So after a google I got to Davinci Resolve. I want to do everything free at the moment until I decide what I want to do progressing down the road so to speak. Also hence why I got a second hand Mavic Pro to learn how to fly properly before I spend out lots of money getting an even better drone like the pro2 or even bigger who knows the sky’s the limit pardon the pun :joy: I did this video in memory of my Younger brother who passed to young, he loved Hertford and the canal. I have got the video at a stage that I am happy with this early on, it does show me what areas I need to improve and also that the filters I have are probably not the best I may have to break my piggy bank and get some Polar filters. You will look at my video and pic wholes in it which we can do over a coffee some time. I was over flying yesterday very windy but still good fun. Call me let’s meet up even if it’s just for a coffee.

DR is a great piece of software, even if it can be a tad daunting initially.
The great thing about DR is that it’s incredibly powerful. This might not seem like a sensible starting point, but the great thing about it is that you’ll never hit the ceiling of what it can do and will never need to change up to something later.

Over the last couple of years I’ve seen all sorts of YouTube tutorials about the many aspects of DR, most of which have been difficult to watch (… hyper individuals, loads of umms/errs, badly planned, repeat themselves, skip back because they forgot things, poor audio, mouse zooming about so fast you fail to see what they actually clicked on, speak too fast to follow/understand …. and I’m sure I’ve seen at least one that contained every one of those faults!)

Recently I discovered Learn Colour Grading on YouTube … and cannot recommend their videos enough.
They have been good enough that I’ve gone back over things I already knew - and never failed to pick up additional tips and discover new features. I’ve now been through them all - even for things I don’t (yet) fully understand and may never use. I’ve always learned something relevant to how I use DR.

The guy is organised, never rushed, knowledgeable and speaks ordinary English clearly (with an interesting accent that doesn’t detract).

They actually also have a free DR tutorial (once you sign up - only to get your email address, of course) that takes you through each of the tabs in DR logically.

2 Likes

Thank you for this much appreciated I will have a look. Now cut my first video on it and I am happy with it at the moment but I’m sure I will go back and improve it as I keep learning :+1::pray:

1 Like

Do they do DR for the IPad?
Couldn’t see it in the App Store!

MacOS/Windows/Linux.

1 Like

Mac OS.

Looked for it but couldn’t see anything. Just tutorials!