Hi from South Wales

Hi everyone, Rob here.
Keen on photography and travel I’ve been agonising over whether or not to get a first drone.
Edging towards the mini 2 after all I’ve read recently about the changes to classification etc but just need a little more persuading before I part with the cash. I’ve already overcome the major obstacle - Mrs Rno7552!
What’s holding me back is I’m not sure if I can cope with the confusion around where I can and cannot fly.
By way of background Greece is our favourite location for holidays but the map I’ve seen from the Greek authority seems to be very restrictive, in some cases blocking out almost entire islands even though there’s tons of footage online from these locations.
Also, I’m a bit hesitant about the reaction from non droners and being regarded as a pain in the axxe even though I would not set out to be intrusive to anyone.
Decisions decisions decisions

2 Likes

Welcome Rob - Im in South Wales too – Swansea area.

DJI Mini2 is a great choice - sub 250 grams allows you fly almost anywhere and being a legacy drone there is no end date on its use. Quite a few members here have the Mini 2 - sure they will be along soon to convince you it is the way to go.

For flying in the UK have a look at Drone Scene - its the GADC utility tool for the best flying areas

Sorry can’t help with Greece but I usually refer to these site for overseas locations …

https://drone-traveller.com

:+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks for the prompt reply, I’m not too far from you, a little village on the outskirts of Trago Mills called Merthyr Tydfil.

2 Likes

Welcome, I have the mavic mini and im seriously impressed with it so the mavic 2 can only be better surely? And doesnt need much paperwork to get flying. Happy Days

1 Like

Was born in Merthyr many many many years ago - in those days it was known as a little town just outside Hoovers :thinking: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Do it and take it to Greece too

I have mine in Zante 2018, hangar nade a mess of the pano, but gives you a rough idea

https://viewer.hangar.com/360?productId=vrNM36mj

1 Like

@milkmanchris Is that a wreck on the beach ??

1 Like

love that

1 Like

https://zakynthosinsider.com/navagio-beach

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Must put that on my post virus bucket list :thinking: :grin:

1 Like

I’m from merthyr too… but been in Yorkshire for 26 yrs now( almost got a passport). Cannot wait to go back and see family after a this crap has calmed down.

2 Likes

Hi Rob, been recreational flying for several years, just getting deeper involved after doing me A2cofc and now half way through my GVC, I have just purchased a mini 2, my 7th drone and cannot fault it, I’m going to push you into buying this mate you will not regret it, obviously you’ve read the rules and please stick by them, don’t be one of the many idiots who make us look bad. There’s many places to loose yourself and fly and most the general public are more intrigued rather than moaning about drones when they see you out there, read the manual check out tips on YouTube and enjoy, don’t be the fool that causes the problem, Farmers can be anti drones and probably for good reason, unless there doing something they shouldn’t lol.I don’t fly over gardens or be intrusive, you don’t need to honestly, it’s great fun good concentration and hey where you end up in 5 years time with it who knows.
I’ve droned on the Greek islands it was amazing but obviously new rules now so let’s see, hopefully the rules will wash out the idiots from this great hobby/ profession, regards Steve

1 Like

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply so fully.
I actually ordered a mini 2 on Wednesday afternoon and then got cold feet 2 hours later and then cancelled!
As I’m more likely to use a drone in Greece and can’t see us getting there until next year I’m going to delay my decision for a while and wait until my wife starts asking me what I want for Christmas which is always preceded by the line “ don’t know what to get you as you have everything :joy:

Well, time for an update. After months of agonising I’ve finally taken the plunge and my shiny new Mini 2 fly more combo is arriving today. Couldn’t wait for Christmas although I did delay for a while speculating that a Mini 3 was in the offing but the Mini SE seems to have put that on the back burner and the realisation that every bit of tech goes out of date and gets updated at some point.
Charging cables ready
Huge open field awaits for practice
Camera bag ready for internal reorganisation
Operator ID obtained
Test passed and Flyer ID obtained
Insurance to sort out this morning and then…
Off we go
Finally, have to say that the forums on here have been an invaluable source of information and help.

1 Like