Hi guys. I'm half tempted to buy a drone

2 avoidance sensors but on the underside and then Yes sub 250 grams.
But the sensors will not steer you around obstacles so there is no tracking feature as such either. They are really there to avoid anything below or poor landing conditions.

1 Like

Hi Cristoff………………no crashes yet but a couple of hairy moments!

Best Regards,

Nick Costain.

~WRD0000.jpg

1 Like

No crash sensors but that’s the trade off in having far less restrictions on the flying. Just be careful, plan the flights, don’t take unnecessary risks and you’ll be fine. Fly often and carefully or infrequent and care free. The choice is yours :wink:

Filters: I got a set of Skyreat ND4 to ND64 and a CPL. Now I’ve just got to learn when to use what one when :smiley:

Lights: Flytron Cree strobe attached to the underside of the main body held in place by a 3D printed holder made by James Hitzone Mods on Facebook.

Not crashed yet but came close a while back when buzzed by a flock of irate mutant Seagulls re-enacting a scene from the Battle of Britain.

1 Like

Or our very own @ash2020

2 Likes

Hi Phil, I’ve got a whole range of different clips for different drones. Rear facing or down facing. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284186490809

1 Like

Hello, my name is Nidge, and I’m a drone addict.

I have a Mini2 and though I’ve yet to use it in anger I do believe it’s currently the best drone on the market for a newcomer.

3 Likes

As a newbie like yourself to drones and flying I’m going to go against the grain here…
When I saw how much the Mini2 is, I was never going to spend so much money on something I would, in all probability crash quite a few times when starting out and getting the hang of flying. If money was no object, sure I’d snap it up in a heart beat but cost was a major factor in me deciding what drone to get.

I started looking at other brands, HolyStone (as someone else stated previously) was a brand that kept poping up as did brands like Xiaomi and Hubsan…thanks to YouTube and the many many videos and comparisons it was quite easy to see, for my own requirements I wouldn’t need to spend loads to get decent film quality and be able to fly. Then during the countless hours of YT research MJX started poping up in reviews and comments…when I saw how cheap some of their stuff (comparitavely) I snapped it up. Sub £250 I now have a drone that has some great functions, is v easy and simple to set up and fly as well take some great footage compared to some of the equivalent albeit more expensive models.

As others have pointed out , when selecting drones it all depends what you want to do with your drone, e.g will it purely for a bit of fun or will you be looking to take some proper ‘nature documentary style’ footage from the air? How much is your budget…some can afford to and so spend thousands on new stuff when starting out in any hobby, others sadly can’t…nothing wrong in either one. Of course as many have also said, there is the regulations. The drone I got is over 250g but as I’m a bit geeky, I’m quite happy to read up/study do courses etc as for me this is the closest I’ll ever get to flying a real plane or helicopter, so if it means I do online courses, get the correct licenses etc I’m quite happy to do so…but I am aware not everyone is sad like me hahahaha and many would and do prefer to get a much lighter drone with good features but allow them the freedom to fly pretty much where they want without restrictions.

As someone at my local RC track once told me when starting out at club level rc car racing…buying a more expensive / faster car does not make a person a faster or better driver…just means the crashes would be more spectacular lol

3 Likes

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, and I’ve sort of progressed through the hobby in a similar way.

The thing about the Mini2 when compared to the other models you’ve mentioned is its availability (Argos, Curry’s, Jessops, etc) and the support structure. For someone starting out, or whom just wants a drone to complement their other casual photo interests, the daunting task of searching Amazon sellers and Chinese box-shifter sites for the right package can be very tiresome and confusing. The Mini2 is a standardised product available in two flavours, the basic and fly-more kits.

To fly a sub-250g drone requires the minimal effort on the part of the owner, legislation wise, and offers more opportunities for the casual user. For this reason the Mini2 is the optimal choice. Yes, there are now sub-250g offerings from Hubsan and Fimi but availability and current customer base is very limited, so the amount of information available to make an informed choice is also very limited. Where as the Mini2 is probably the most popular drone on the market today and consequently the customer base is also the largest knowledge base of any drone product, something that is especially reassuring to a new and/or casual user.

Make no mistake, I am not a DJI Fanboy. In the last five years, of all the drones I own, I’ve only bought two DJI Drones off the shelf, the Spark and the Mini2, and that was purely out of curiosity and the fact they were both heavily discounted.

5 Likes

Also, for anyone who sees this

Where is the best place to buy the mini 2? Where could i get the best offer?

I bought my Spark Fly-More kit from Maplin when they were in the process of closing down. I think I paid in the region of £350 for it.

As for the Mini2. My wife works for the Sainsbury’s group where staff receive a 10% discount. However they will have the odd weekend, usually around major holiday periods, whereby the discount is increased to 20%, which was one of these periods when I purchased the Mini2 Fly-More package.

1 Like