Hi guys. I'm half tempted to buy a drone

I’m new here. Been thinking about buying a drone for some time… what suggestions would you have for a newbie?

What price range should i be looking at?

Ideally, I’d like something that can take clear footage and is fairly simple to use…

Oh, and the last question: are there any drone clubs around the notts area? I’m based in sutton-in-ashfield…

Cheers!

2 Likes

Welcome :pray:

Only you can tell us this and we’ll point you in the right direction :ok_hand:t4:

4 Likes

Hi Cristoff,
I went through this process earlier this year, spent ages researching even ordering a drone and then getting cold feet and cancelling an hour later!.
Eventually took the plunge last month and bought the DJI Mini 2, opted for the fly more package costing me £549. Probably spent another £150 or getting filters and lights.
I can’t speak with the authority of many of the other guys on here about alternative drones but I can say with certainty that the Mini 2 is an ideal starter drone, easy to fly and free of many of the restrictions that other larger models encounter.
Can’t help you with clubs in your area as I live in South Wales but if you hang on I’m sure someone will be along with the info you need.
Just go for it!

Rob

9 Likes

Welcome,
I’ll let the flood of recommendations come.
But…
Things to think about.
Do you want to follow variations of rules that are drone size/weight dependant? (The basics require the drone to be sub 250 grams).
Do you know there is a vast amount of restrictions on where to fly any drone?
Would you like obstacle avoidance sensors or to put it another way, have a drone that can actively track you (without crashing)?
Is it photos and cinematography that is the key interest or the flying?
Enjoy…

2 Likes

Think about what you want to do with the drone.

I bought a cheap(ish) Holystone drone from amazon. Was happy with it until I compared the video with the videos on here.
Returned it and spent double at Argos on a Mini 2.
No regrets at all.

Have a look at this:

To give you an idea about restrictions applicable to different weight zones

3 Likes

Hi Christoff , I’m a relatively new member but the information and advice I’ve received has been tremendous , so first advice I would say is stay with the GADC , members have a wealth of knowledge, my first topic was " I bought the wrong drone" and I still think I have , as mentioned there are a lot of restrictions re flying and I’ve had to put my hand in my pocket to complete a course to ease some restrictions so think carefully and don’t rush in like I did , drone scene on here is a fantastic tool check the drone code and good to go and you will find topics an advice or problems encountered on where to fly

1 Like

Hi Christoff. I was the same as @FFf in that I bought a Holystone but wasn’t happy with teh single axis camera but it served the purpose of getting me hooked. I now have the Mini 2 and can’t recommend it highly enough. If you get the bug like me and many others on here you want to get out and fly at every opportunity and that means having the least restrictions put upon you and for that reason alone the Mini 2 is the perfect drone.

Don’t wait, pull the trigger and get learning :wink:

5 Likes

Don’t do it , you start by buying one drone then before you know it you have many drones lol it’s addictive.
Personally I would say depending on budget DJI mini 2 flymore combo , easy to fly , fantastic drone for the money , affordable compared to many and a lot less restrictions being under the 250grms. That said there is a wealth of experience and knowledge among the members here to advise you better qualified than me as I’m only in my 2nd year .

1 Like

It may be worth waiting on DJI Mini SE. Some people say it’s gonna be a slightly improved mini 1 for 350GBP.

Ideally, it would be best to have someone let you fly the drone a little to see if you like it and if you can see yourself doing it more than once.

1 Like

DJI Mini 2 fly more package, first drone, bought in April, very satisfied with the purchase.

1 Like

Yep, DJI mini2, as others have said. If budget can’t stretch that far wait for the mini se.
Loads of advice and help on YouTube.
I bought a Mini2 in January after having a Phantom for several years because the new rules made the Phantom unviable. Not regretted it at all. Because min2 is under 250g I can fly it where I can’t the Phantom.
Found it very easy to fly and relatively quiet, which is a bonus.

1 Like

Reminder that the upcoming Mini SE is a Mini 1, rather than a Mini 2 - in case that sways your decision either way.

Another thing that may sway your decision is the Mini 2 uses Ocusynce 2 rather than standard WiFi which the new Mini SE will use and is much more stable with a longer range.

1 Like

Something else, and I speak from experience( SWMBO has a Mini and I have a Mini 2), is wind resistance of the Mini 2. I can quite often get it up whilst she has to sit and watch.

YES, I KNOW WHAT I WROTE

4 Likes

Hi Chris I’m fairly to all of this and bought my Mini 2 in Feb
Have over 30 hours flying time under my belt now and love this drone
Take the advice you have on this forum page and spend some cash!
Regards
Nick

2 Likes

Wow. Thanks for all the advice, guys. Seems a great community i have stumbled upon here!

Interesting. I’m seeing a lot of suggestions for the mini 2. What made you buy the extra filters and lights…? And how easy is it using the app?

does the mini2 have obstacle avoidance sensors and is it sub 250 grams?

awesome. have you crashed it yet…?

Hi

I bought the filters based on my photography/videography background as I find they help smooth out the footage by allowing me to adjust shutter speed in line with the 180 rule.I would suggest you take a look at some of the YouTube content around filters for drones and in saying this please don’t think I’m being dismissive or unhelpful it’s just that my explanation could run to several pages. Indeed you will find some users who will argue that filters are not required.
As for the lights, my 60 year old eyes need every bit of help they can get to maintain the visual line of sight.

1 Like