Hi, new flyer from Leeds W.Yorkshire

Hi,

I’m new to outdoor flying especially drones, I’m from Leeds and looking for new places to fly and take aerial photos if anyone recommends any please let me know.

2 Likes

Hi from the other side of the wall Pennines :wave:t2:

Hi Kevin and welcome to GADC.

Hey up from out Selby way, was born in Leeds though.

Which part of the city are you in?

MOT

Hi,

I’m from the crossgates area of Leeds.
I was thinking of going to otley/Ikley on the weekend

I know Croggie well.

If you want somewhere a bit more local, the Canal/River down at Woodlesford isn’t too far from you.

Or even check out St Marys Chapel at Lead, worth a look and there is the Roses battlefields out that way too

1 Like

We’ll not have drone flying over here. This is a local town for local people, we’ll have no trouble here.

Seriously though welcome to the group. One thing to be aware of is that most of Otley is within a no fly zone. The Chevin is a definite no-no. It’s possible to fly in some of the Sports Fields North of the River near the Park, I do some of my preliminary testing of my builds there.

I know some people have flown around the reservoirs North of the town but these are on Yorkshire Water Land and they can get a little snotty.

As for Ilkley, I’ve only flown at the Cow and Calf and that was years ago long before “Drone Hysteria” was a thing. I’m not sure how the natives would react these days.

I’m sure if you follow the recommendations in the Drone Code you’ll still find many interesting and safe places to fly around the Wharfdale and Nidderdale regions.

Nidge.

3 Likes

Hi Welcome to the forum. Im from your side of York. Enjoy the site and enjoy many happy hours with your Mavic Mini.

1 Like

Welcome!

I grew up in Otley and was thinking that the Chevin might be a great place for flying… but, as Nidge pointed out, most of Otley is in a no fly zone. I forgot all about Leeds/Bradford Airport!

Good Luck!

Yeadon where I come from :wink:

Aye, I remember those days! I also remember the ‘hoo ha’ from Horsforth residents when the airport started accomodating larger jets, changed flight paths and house prices went down the toilet!

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies, I’ll be looking for an easier place to fly around Yorkshire now, I don’t want to break any rules (well not that many) and I certainly don’t want to displease the locals :crazy_face:.

So if anyone has a favourite spot in the Yorkshire area that their willing to share With me I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

Welcome to the group, I was at the Chevin last week, i also go up to tempsie when it’s a bit quiet.

I’m Leeds born & bred :fist:

1 Like

Me too, born, bread and buttered.

MOT

1 Like

I spent my informative years in Pudsey, left when I was 18 yrs. Moved to Otley ten years later and been here for the last 26yrs.

Nidge.

1 Like

Hi I am from Leeds welcome to the forum let me know next time you go flying if I am free we could meet up not to far from you.

3 Likes