Hiking the Cumbria Way

Apologies if this isn’t the right place to ask for information but I’m a dumb naturalised Aussie. I’ve just joined the Grey Arrows community and slowly coming to grips with the drone scene map. I’m walking the Cumbria Way in May and want to know if it’s even worth bringing my drone with me. I have a mini 4 pro and have my flight and operator id’s but it seems like a large majority of the walk is through National Trust land and SSID areas. So any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Denty and welcome to Grey Arrows :wave:t2:

Looking for recommendations of places to fly in the UK? Check out our interactive map on Drone Scene (just a reminder, it only covers the UK) :smiley:

Interested in becoming a member of our Club? Read about all the benefits of membership at:

Wondering whether you can fly a particular model of drone under particular circumstances? Check out Good 2 Go where you’ll soon find the answer :blush:

We’re a well established club with many knowledgeable members so it’s very likely that any issues you come across will have been discussed here before. Our discussion forum has very powerful search features which should help you find what you need but if you get stuck you can post a new question in the Questions & Answers category.

Our Associates are able to enjoy a lot of great services for free but our Members are eligible for a whole lot more! Read all the details about our Membership Benefits?

And finally, if you are new to drones and wondering what it’s all about, have a look at Resources for a beginner.

Welcome once again!

Hi @Denty , it looks as though you’re quite new here :wave:t2:

Why not nip over to the Introductions page, and say hello properly and tell us a bit about yourself. :+1:t2:

Hi Peter @Denty , i would certainly recommend taking your drone. Although there is alot of NT land the chances of a NT employee interacting with you will be quite slim. Also if they do just appologise land and move on. Most areas of SSI are to do with plants and rocks around tgat area so flying wouldn’t be a problem, but worth dounle checking details and avoid if a particular place is about animals.
But definitely take the drone you will get some stunning shots.

1 Like

Hi Peter @Denty - welcome to GADC :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thank you Steve.

Unfortunately as I live in Australia the insurance isn’t available to me. I have added a post in the Introductions section as you suggested.

I must say I am very impressed with what I’ve seen of the resources available through the membership and congratulate everybody involved in creating and maintaining the club. There isn’t anything approaching this in Australia.

Regards,

Denty

2 Likes

My appologisies as you said you were a naturalised Aussie i assumed an Aussie now living in the UK.

1 Like

Welcome @Denty Peter to The Grey Arrows family :smile:

3 Likes

My bad, actually the other way around. Married an Aussie in 1976 and moved to Melbourne that year. Born and raised in NW London and family lives in and around Greater London. First time back since my father died in 2014. Probably the last time, my wife has too many other places she wants to see before we get too old to travel.

2 Likes

@Denty I’d bring your m4p with you for sure You’d regret it if you dont! If you use Drone Scene you can check out all the FRZs and SSSi’s before you go. As @stevesb Steve says SSSi’s are mostly about ground based fauna etc but watch out for Bird based issues. The citation section of the relevant SSSi page obtained directly from the Drone Scene link will tell you exactly what to watch out for (I think you have to be a paid member though to gain access to the feature but worth getting as cheap as a round of Fosters). :rofl: Hope the weather treats you kindly too. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

@D0c.Col thanks for the advice. I joined as a paid member, apart from all of the incredibly useful resources it just seems to be the right thing to do given the amount of work that the developers have put into the assets. I’ll be coming off 17 days in Iceland so I’ll probably be looking for climate relief. I just hope it stops raining over your way so I’m not walking through a sea of mud for 10 days.

2 Likes

Welcome to the group

1 Like

@Denty :nauseated_face::nauseated_face: Green with envy. :hugs:

I’m looking forward to it, only 3 days until we leave. It’s going to be a bit of a climate shock for us coming out of an Australian summer even though it wasn’t a really hot one. Long range forecast isn’t particularly promising and we’re living out of a van so we’ll see what happens. Will be the first time I’ve seen my family in 5 years when we get to UK so that’s something I’m looking forward to and also the first time in the Lake District for 30 years.

1 Like

Look fwd to uour captures. :+1:

Hopefully I’ll work out how to post them properly.

2 Likes