Hitchin Lavender Farm - Added to Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in East of England

I have just added this to the map of places to fly your drone at Drone Scene:

Land owner permission requirements unknown.

Arrive early or in the evening. Lavender farm gets busy during the daytime.
parking is just along road from entrance to farm, short tarmac pathway which you can park on off road(road is busy at times). walk up the track through the woods and the first field is open, the lavender fields are in the next field at top on your right, its fenced off from Wheat field. Ive launched from the fence line as this is outside of the Lavender Farm boundary. area gets plenty of dog walkers and joggers.

The originator declared that this location was not inside a Flight Restriction Zone at the time of being flown on 25/06/2022. It remains the responsibility of any pilot to check for any changes before flying at the same location.

2 Likes

Never realised lavender farming was on the up. :thinking: :+1:

another bigger farm out near Kings Lynn, Norfolk Lavender. Found a few more down near Crawley last year too.

I’m a drone newbie but wanted to fly here, so this is really helpful, thank you.
I was concerned there were flight restrictions for Luton, but is this area just a ‘warning’ zone without additional permissions needed?

Thank you :blush:

@Rhi you’re looking at Class D airspace, safe to ignore for you drone.

The Class D airspace map layer is turned off by default on Drone Scene (you can turn it on if you really want to).

As you can see here, no airspace restrictions nearby:

1 Like

@PingSpike Thanks so much for your quick reply, I hoped as much but wanted to check! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Good to ask first. Admittedly I’ve flown here before with both locked and unlocked drones. Neither times have I been grounded, the Luton airport boundary nearby, and also RAF Henlow is pretty nearby, but the Lavender fields are virtually in the middle of both. It’s safe to fly from top fence line of lavender field and your have clear VLOS all the way down the field as your at the top of a long slope.

1 Like

Thanks so much @Dren. Great tip on the VLOS.

1 Like