Hobbyist Drone Insurance Investigations ... June 2019

Really useful piece of research Stuart / @stubbyd, I think that amount of work, which could save lots of GADC members their hard earned cash, deserves an ‘over and above’ badge Over and Above badge on Grey Arrows Drone Club UK
@GADC_Committee

4 Likes

I never took out the DJI refresh cover - didn’t feel it was worth the cost for a Mavic Air especially when balanced against the cost of my insurance deal and what I got with that.

I haven’t claimed but took it out after an incident (my fault) where I essentially had my drone blown into a very tall tree and despite many hours and many returns it was never to be seen again. Had I been insured with my current provider I’d have paid £100 excess and got a brand new Phantom 3 SE or at least a sizeable chunk of money towards my MA.

As with any non-mandatory insurance it’s a hedge bet. If you don’t have it and need it you’ll regret it. But if you do have it and never claim it’s essentially money down the drain. For me, I see it as a peace of mind thing.

3 Likes

Thanks @BrianB - very kind of you to say.

I’m going to be taking my M2Z to Iceland in a few week’s time. No insurance of any type right now. I’m thinking that insurance will be worth it and the Eversure policy looks good at £51 for worldwide - I can’t find the flyaway exclusion on their website, can anyone point me at where that is?

Me too, I looked at this company but could not find any info on flyaways I emailed and they did not respond so went with Flyicarus al little more expensive but you can see what you are getting in plain English but to get a discount you need to join FPVUK or BMFA member which costs around £20pa and includes 5m public liability, you will probably find a few more recommended companies on this thread (just seen on the first post of this thread that Eversure do NOT cover flyaways)- I have M2Z and love it taking mine to Cyprus in a few months…happy flying enjoy :+1:

2 Likes

Start a quote and click through to the price box. Then under ‘important info’ click on policy wording which gives you the full lowdown. Here’s what they say:

Definition:
Flyaway - an interruption or loss of the control link, or when You are unable to effect control of the Drone and, as a result, the Drone is not operating in a predictable or planned manner.

Then under section 3 - accidental loss or damge they say:

We will not pay for:
Accidental loss of a Drone as a result of Flyaway

3 Likes

Had a look at FlyIcarus. Default price for my M2Z is currently £88.49, but that’s discounted from £159. It is a 50% discount for FPVUK members, but that’s on the base price, so actually works out at £79.50. Plus £20 for the FPVUK membership = £99.50, so there’s no point getting the membership just for this discount. Eversure are so much cheaper that I may just have to take the flyaway risk …

Its all about risk management.

500 miles flown for me in 5 countries and no crashes (or anything that would have resulted in a claim) in 3 years.

Maybe I’m just lucky

Edit - I do fly daft too, check out my previous posts and youtube channel ;o)

2 Likes

Hmmm… I don’t recall a single GADC member ever reporting a flyaway? :thinking:

They do happen, of course, but I think they’re far more rare than people think :+1:t2:

2 Likes

The only ones I’ve read about were on Mavic Air’s and folks did waypoint missions with DJI Go app… but like yourself I don’t know of anyone that I’ve shared a forum with that has had this happen to.

I only mention it in the insurance write-up as I know some folks are a bit touchy about that aspect.

1 Like

I’d buy the flyaway cover myself if it were a reasonable cost - peace of mind and all that :+1:t2:

Agreed PingSpike - if it was included then it’s a no brainer. If it doubles my cost then I’d certainly think longer and harder about it.

1 Like

Good morning everyone.
A quick (well I do try!) question, probobly been covered loads of times but forgive me please I am a baby here !

My question is what level of insurance are people using and what do we find to be the best companys ?
Has anyone had to make a claim for loss or liability at all ? and if you would be so kind to give a rating like a number please ?
I have many insurances on my cars and bikes and many companys over the years and find some are brilliant some are bad and just wanted your input please.

Again many thanks in advance, if I am slow to reply or thank please forgive me I have some bodywork on a old Mercedes loads of running around and if I get time a drone to fly ! Yay !!!

@dazer2000 I’ve moved your post over to a recent summary round up of insurance services.

Have a read above and go for your life with any questions in this thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you and I am affraid my posts in categorys dont get much better lol I am practical not PC’ual if thats hos ya call it lol :slight_smile:

Hi new to the hobby & the forum just familiarising myself with all aspects but wondered if anyone had a “best way forward” comment on insurance Would be happy to have it as part of something else :grinning:

@iGo-droning I’ve moved your post over to this thread as this question is asked on an almost fortnightly basis :+1:t2:

Welcome to GADC, @iGo-droning. :+1:

If you have a moment, pop over to #introductions and … :thinking:… introduce yourself. :wink:

Hi guys,
As a pure novice to drone flying I’m sure it would be wise of me to get some kind of insurance just in case my shiny new Mavic Air decides to throw a wobbly and fly off into the sunset and land in someone’s shiny new greenhouse and ruins this years prize dahlia cuttings. So could anyone point me in the right direction to which insurance company’s deal with hobby drone flyers. Cheers

Lots of threads on insurance if you do a quick search.

First off find a big open space and learn to fly squares and circles, nose in and nose out to get used to the controls.

Most of all enjoy

4 Likes